Search found 52 matches
Search found 52 matches • Page 1 of 1
- Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:28 pm
- Forum: Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers
- Topic: Shortcut for Formal Charge
- Replies: 14
- Views: 91
A quick way to calculate formal charge is to count subtract the sum of the number of lone electrons and bonds by the number of valence electrons.
- Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:14 pm
- Forum: Polarisability of Anions, The Polarizing Power of Cations
- Topic: Polarisability vs Polarizing Power
- Replies: 15
- Views: 110
Smaller cations with a larger effective nuclear charge have a higher polarizing power whereas larger anions are have a higher polarizability.
- Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:18 pm
- Forum: Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals
- Topic: Advice for studying
- Replies: 58
- Views: 501
After going to lecture, I like to immediately read the material covered in the textbook to solidify the concepts. I also try to do the corresponding homework problems right away and I'll go to TA hours if I'm confused about anything.
- Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:20 pm
- Forum: Ideal Gases
- Topic: Reading the textbook [ENDORSED]
- Replies: 132
- Views: 76636
I personally find reading the textbook very beneficial just so I can go in depth on the topics covered. I usually have to read the text more than once to really comprehend the material so I break the text into small sections.
- Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:12 pm
- Forum: Balancing Chemical Reactions
- Topic: Balancing Reactions
- Replies: 25
- Views: 278
Chemical reactions have to be balanced in order to satisfy the law of conservation of matter which states that matter is neither created nor destroyed in a closed system. Therefore, the amount of element in the reactant and poduct sides have to be equal.
- Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:02 pm
- Forum: Empirical & Molecular Formulas
- Topic: What decimal place to round to when taking masses from the Periodic Table?
- Replies: 19
- Views: 176
I would say to use the entire number given on the periodic table and then to round your final answer based on the rules of sig figs.
- Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:58 pm
- Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
- Topic: Advice from a Medical Student - Part II [ENDORSED]
- Replies: 130
- Views: 2913
It was super inspiring and motivating to hear your experience as a medical student! As a first year premed, I'm wondering how you were able to balance your social and academic life?
- Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:51 pm
- Forum: Student Social/Study Group
- Topic: Final Jitters
- Replies: 95
- Views: 19706
One of the most helpful things I've learned over the past couple years on how to ease jitters before exams is to not discuss the content or try to cram in last minute material right before taking the test. Instead, I like to take deep breathes in order to calm myself down and get myself in the right...