Search found 60 matches

by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:20 pm
Forum: Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions
Topic: Adding a catalyst
Replies: 6
Views: 18

Re: Adding a catalyst

Does adding a catalyst affect the K since it reaches equilibrium at a faster rate?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:10 pm
Forum: Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions
Topic: Le Chatelier Principle
Replies: 4
Views: 20

Re: Le Chatelier Principle

A change in pressure or concentration only effects the direction the reaction is going because it will shift in direction to maintain equilibrium. However, a change in temperature effects the rates the reactions are occurring, thus, effecting the K value.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:56 am
Forum: Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions
Topic: Weak acids & bases
Replies: 7
Views: 21

Re: Weak acids & bases

Gerald Bernal1L wrote:you divide the change number by the concentration of the acid. Then you multiply by 100 if you want the percent.

What exactly is the change number as mentioned in the above quote ?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:54 am
Forum: Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions
Topic: Le Chatliers Principle In relation to pressure
Replies: 6
Views: 15

Re: Le Chatliers Principle In relation to pressure

How does Le Chatliers Principle apply to the concept of pressure?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:52 am
Forum: Applying Le Chatelier's Principle to Changes in Chemical & Physical Conditions
Topic: Adding Inert Gas
Replies: 7
Views: 19

Re: Adding Inert Gas

An inert gas is basically a noble gas where the ones we will most likely see in reactions are He or Ar.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:48 pm
Forum: Ideal Gases
Topic: K and Q
Replies: 8
Views: 283

Re: K and Q

How exactly is the Q different from K if they are calculated the same way?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:44 pm
Forum: Ideal Gases
Topic: kc vs kp
Replies: 19
Views: 554

Re: kc vs kp

Kp is used, specifically, if the partial pressure of the reactants and products are given and the Kc is used if the concentration of the reactants and products are given.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:35 pm
Forum: Ideal Gases
Topic: R constant in PV=nRT
Replies: 9
Views: 35

Re: R constant in PV=nRT

I believe the constant will be given to us in the constant sheet so what don't really need to worry about it.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 pm
Forum: Ideal Gases
Topic: K
Replies: 10
Views: 49

Re: K

I'm not sure if the constant Kc will be the same as Kp but I do know that they are used on whether you were given concentrations or if you were given partial pressures.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:53 pm
Forum: Ideal Gases
Topic: Units for Pressure
Replies: 6
Views: 41

Re: Units for Pressure

What is the difference between the bar unit and the atm unit for pressure?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:37 pm
Forum: Ideal Gases
Topic: Dynamic Equilibrium
Replies: 10
Views: 54

Re: Dynamic Equilibrium

Does dynamic equilibrium mean that the reaction is constantly going through the forward and reverse reaction since the reactants make the products and the products can make the reactants?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:00 pm
Forum: Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands
Topic: polydentate
Replies: 4
Views: 51

Re: polydentate

How can a molecule bind in more than one area? Is it because there are elements that have lone pairs on them?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:57 pm
Forum: Naming
Topic: bis,tris,tetrakis
Replies: 6
Views: 42

Re: bis,tris,tetrakis

Why exactly do we need to use these different prefixes as compared to using di, tri, tetra?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:56 pm
Forum: Biological Examples
Topic: en and edta
Replies: 5
Views: 33

Re: en and edta

For en and edta are expected to know the chemical formula in its entirety?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:55 pm
Forum: Biological Examples
Topic: Heme complex
Replies: 5
Views: 50

Re: Heme complex

How many Oxygen does it take to make hemoglobin?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:54 pm
Forum: Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands
Topic: chelating ligands [ENDORSED]
Replies: 21
Views: 1533

Re: chelating ligands [ENDORSED]

What exactly is a chelating ligand? Can you also provide an example for it?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:20 am
Forum: Naming
Topic: Bis,tris, etc
Replies: 6
Views: 46

Re: Bis,tris, etc

When exactly do we use bis, cis, tris, etc.? How are they any different from using the other prefixes such as di, tri, etc.?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:17 am
Forum: Naming
Topic: Naming coordination compound
Replies: 5
Views: 48

Re: Naming coordination compound

When a molecule has en in it, for example, [CoCl2(en)2]+ what does it mean exactly? Does this also have an effect on the charge of the compound?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:15 am
Forum: Naming
Topic: Naming Coordination Compound
Replies: 5
Views: 33

Re: Naming Coordination Compound

If the overall coordination sphere has a negative charge does it have an effect on the nomenclature on the compound?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:13 am
Forum: Sigma & Pi Bonds
Topic: Sigma and Pi Bonds
Replies: 7
Views: 39

Re: Sigma and Pi Bonds

Can we tell what hybridization state an element has if they have a sigma bond?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:12 am
Forum: Sigma & Pi Bonds
Topic: Pi Bonding
Replies: 6
Views: 54

Re: Pi Bonding

Can we tell what type of hybridization state an element has if they have a pi bond?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:11 am
Forum: Naming
Topic: Naming Coordination Compound
Replies: 5
Views: 33

Re: Naming Coordination Compound

Do anions and cations outside of the coordination sphere need prefixes when we write out the name ?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:08 am
Forum: Naming
Topic: Naming Coordination Compound
Replies: 5
Views: 33

Re: Naming Coordination Compound

When naming a coordination compound, do we put the molecule outside of the coordination sphere before or after the name? Typically if whatever is outside of the sphere is a cation then it goes before the name but if it is an anion then you would just write it after the name. So K4[Ni(CN)4] would be...
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:03 am
Forum: Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands
Topic: brackets
Replies: 13
Views: 58

Re: brackets

If an anion comes after the brackets does it affect the nomenclature of the compound, if so how?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:02 am
Forum: Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands
Topic: brackets
Replies: 13
Views: 58

Re: brackets

If there is a cation in front of the brackets does that affect the nomenclature of the compound, if so how?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:58 am
Forum: Sigma & Pi Bonds
Topic: Pi Bonding
Replies: 6
Views: 54

Re: Pi Bonding

When we were drawing out how the pi bonds looked on molecules, we drew two regions for the pi (one on top of the molecule and one on the bottom) but this only represented a single pi bond and not two, can someone explain the logic behind this?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:55 am
Forum: Ionic & Covalent Bonds
Topic: Dative Covalent Bonding
Replies: 4
Views: 40

Dative Covalent Bonding

What exactly is dative bonding? I know that its a type of binding between transitional metals and ligands but what exactly does it entail?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:09 pm
Forum: Coordinate Covalent Bonds
Topic: Coordinate Covalent Bonds
Replies: 5
Views: 96

Re: Coordinate Covalent Bonds

What is the significance of the coordinate covalent bonds? Are these bonds involved in lewis acids and bases?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:05 pm
Forum: Dipole Moments
Topic: Dipole Moment
Replies: 10
Views: 87

Re: Dipole Moment

How do we tell there is a major difference in electronegativity to cause dipole-moments? Is there a specific range or even an electronegativity chart being given?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:13 pm
Forum: Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers
Topic: Calculating formal charge
Replies: 8
Views: 43

Re: Calculating formal charge

When calculating formal charge the order doesn't matter because each element has there own formal charge. This is calculated through subtracting the number of bonds a lone pair electrons from the valence electron of that given element. As for adding the charges at the end, the only thing you should ...
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:06 pm
Forum: Resonance Structures
Topic: Resonance
Replies: 5
Views: 45

Re: Resonance

Laura WM 3I wrote:It it better to have 2 formal charges of -1 or 1 formal charge of -2?

This depends on the element itself. If one element is more electronegative compared to the other then you should place the negative charge on the element with the higher electronegativity.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:56 pm
Forum: Dipole Moments
Topic: Dipole Induced- Dipole Induced
Replies: 13
Views: 84

Re: Dipole Induced- Dipole Induced

Why exactly are there induced dipoles? Is it simply because the molecule would just be more stable if it were bonded or is there another factor that is playing in this?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:50 pm
Forum: Sigma & Pi Bonds
Topic: sigma and pi bonds
Replies: 19
Views: 108

Re: sigma and pi bonds

Pi bonds prevent the molecule from rotating, is this because it is formed from a double bond (one sigma and one pi)?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:39 pm
Forum: Trends in The Periodic Table
Topic: Electronegativity
Replies: 9
Views: 51

Re: Electronegativity

I know that the trend of electronegativity increases as you go up and to the right, however, in the case of oxygen and chlorine which one has a higher electronegativity and what aspect of that element makes it so?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:35 pm
Forum: Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)
Topic: Bent vs linear
Replies: 56
Views: 283

Re: Bent vs linear

While both molecular geometry's do have two bonds connected to the central the main thing to consider is if there are any lone pairs on the central atom as well. There are two instances when it can be considered linear; one way is when there are only two bonds to the central atom and no lone pairs, ...
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:42 am
Forum: Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)
Topic: Bent vs linear
Replies: 56
Views: 283

Re: Bent vs linear

Can we refer to bent as angular or v-shaped as well or are we limited to just saying bent for exams?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:19 pm
Forum: Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)
Topic: dipole-dipole vs induced dipole
Replies: 9
Views: 59

Re: dipole-dipole vs induced dipole

Why is the molecule OCS is considered polar,shouldn't their dipoles cancel out making the molecule non-polar?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:16 pm
Forum: Hybridization
Topic: Hybridization
Replies: 3
Views: 26

Re: Hybridization

In class, we used Carbon as an example to understand hybridization since it can adopt all types of hybridization (sp3, sp2, and sp1). Can someone explain why that is?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:13 pm
Forum: Sigma & Pi Bonds
Topic: Sigma & Pi Bonds
Replies: 9
Views: 43

Re: Sigma & Pi Bonds

Why is it that the sigma is the first bond to always form and not the pi bond?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:13 pm
Forum: Sigma & Pi Bonds
Topic: Sigma & Pi Bonds
Replies: 9
Views: 43

Re: Sigma & Pi Bonds

What is the bond between an s-orbital and an s-orbital called?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:11 pm
Forum: Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)
Topic: Radicals and Molecular Shape
Replies: 4
Views: 21

Re: Radicals and Molecular Shape

What exact factors of the VSPER model helps us determine the shape/orientation of molecules?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:33 pm
Forum: Dipole Moments
Topic: Dipoles Cancelling Out
Replies: 4
Views: 29

Re: Dipoles Cancelling Out

DarrenKim_3G wrote:I believe cancelling out has to do with the symmetry of a molecule. For example C2Cl4 has no net dipole moment because the molecule is symmetric so the moment cancels out

When you say symmetric what does that exactly refer too, perhaps the shape of the element?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:21 pm
Forum: Dipole Moments
Topic: Boiling Point
Replies: 11
Views: 62

Re: Boiling Point

How can we determine between elements which will have a higher boiling point?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:15 pm
Forum: Dipole Moments
Topic: Polarity
Replies: 8
Views: 33

Re: Polarity

Is there another way besides drawing out an element to determine the polarity?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:04 pm
Forum: Dipole Moments
Topic: HYDROGEN BONDING
Replies: 3
Views: 22

Re: HYDROGEN BONDING

In terms of covalent, ionic, and hydrogen bonds which is the strongest and why? I would think ionic but I can see how hydrogen bonds are stronger since they are easily attracted to high electronegative elements.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:57 pm
Forum: Dipole Moments
Topic: Dipole Moment
Replies: 6
Views: 26

Re: Dipole Moment

When Lavelle was drawing the water molecule to show the dipole moment why did he put the arrows pointing toward the oxygen? Is it because of oxygen's higher electronegativity?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:13 am
Forum: Coordinate Covalent Bonds
Topic: Why can h20 only donate 1 lone pair?
Replies: 5
Views: 436

Re: Why can h20 only donate 1 lone pair?

D-nice1D wrote:I think that would lead to the oxygen having a 2+ formal charge

Adding on, Oxygen has a high electronegativity so having a formal charge of 2+ is not ideal.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:10 am
Forum: Octet Exceptions
Topic: List of Octet exceptions
Replies: 6
Views: 49

Re: List of Octet exceptions

Is there a limit on the number of electrons the exceptions to the octet rule can have?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:08 am
Forum: Resonance Structures
Topic: Delocalization vs. Resonance
Replies: 8
Views: 66

Re: Delocalization vs. Resonance

So in terms of delocalization can we say this occurs when atoms form bonds with each other because in a way they are spreading out their electrons through sharing them?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:03 am
Forum: Ionic & Covalent Bonds
Topic: Ionic Bonds
Replies: 6
Views: 37

Ionic Bonds

Just for clarification, ionic bonds are formed between elements that are further from each other due to a substantial difference in their electronegativity?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:10 pm
Forum: Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation
Topic: Heisenberg Constant
Replies: 3
Views: 27

Heisenberg Constant

Why is that when we learned about the Heisenberg uncertainty principle the principle was h/4*pi but in the textbook, they referred to the constant as h/2.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:07 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Post All Chemistry Jokes Here
Replies: 7750
Views: 1063007

Re: Post All Chemistry Jokes Here

Q: What's the best thing to learn about equilibrium?
A: Nothing changes.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:06 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Post All Chemistry Jokes Here
Replies: 7750
Views: 1063007

Re: Post All Chemistry Jokes Here

Q: Why didn't Na and Cl relationship workout?
A: Because they were salty together.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:04 pm
Forum: Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy
Topic: Wavelength Plausibility
Replies: 30
Views: 838

Re: Wavelength Plausibility

APatel_4A wrote:He said that it is 720 to 400 but that we can just remember 700 to 400 since it's easier!


Thank you !!!
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:01 pm
Forum: Lewis Structures
Topic: Exceptions to the Octet Rule
Replies: 3
Views: 40

Exceptions to the Octet Rule

I remember that there were certain exceptions to the Lewis structure in regards to the octet rule, however, I don't understand the logical/reason behind it. Can someone please explain?
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:50 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Post All Chemistry Jokes Here
Replies: 7750
Views: 1063007

Re: Post All Chemistry Jokes Here

Thanos got jokes!
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:44 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Post All Chemistry Jokes Here
Replies: 7750
Views: 1063007

Re: Post All Chemistry Jokes Here

Me: Do you know why I make bad jokes about chemistry?
Friend: No, why?
Me: Because, all the good one's Argon.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:36 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: How to find my posts
Replies: 48
Views: 37605

Re: How to find my posts

Is there a way to access the lecture powerpoints because I wanted to screenshot one of the images and print it out for reference in my notes.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:30 pm
Forum: Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy
Topic: Wavelength Plausibility
Replies: 30
Views: 838

Re: Wavelength Plausibility

I remember in the lecture the slides said that visible light can be seen from 700nm (Red) to 400nm (Violet) but in the picture from the slides it went up to 720 nm. So, basically my question is if visible light ranging from 700 nm to 400nm or from 720nm to 400nm.
by Natalie Benitez 1C
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:19 pm
Forum: Limiting Reactant Calculations
Topic: Showing Work for Limiting Reactant Calculations on Tests [ENDORSED]
Replies: 68
Views: 1571

Re: Showing Work for Limiting Reactant Calculations on Tests [ENDORSED]

I don't want to be that person but what does dimensional analysis mean?

Go to advanced search