Search found 102 matches

by Jason_Glass_2L
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:30 am
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: THANK YOU DR LAVELLE!
Replies: 47
Views: 921

Re: THANK YOU DR LAVELLE!

Thank you for all the amazing resources to help us succeed! I really thought I would struggle a lot through these COVID classes, but all the resources you gave us really helped me boost my knowledge for the exams.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:10 pm
Forum: Balancing Redox Reactions
Topic: Studying for finals?
Replies: 47
Views: 162

Re: Studying for finals?

If you are on a time cramp, I would suggest problems and trying to find the process to solve it for each problem without actually plugging in the numbers, and then check on the answer key if you have the process right. Having the background knowledge of seeing how differently worded problems are sol...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:27 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Planning on dorming in the Fall?
Replies: 61
Views: 238

Re: Planning on dorming in the Fall?

I am definitely planning on dorming during the fall, but I really hope they don't plan on doing triples because I remember that I was forced to take a triple before COVID happened.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:23 pm
Forum: Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics Controlling a Reaction
Topic: What was your favorite chem topic?
Replies: 133
Views: 851

Re: What was your favorite chem topic?

Thermochemistry was oddly my favorite! After that I really enjoyed quantum in 14A because it was fairly straightforward.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:45 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Balance / Self Care Tips
Replies: 58
Views: 233

Re: Balance / Self Care Tips

Sleeping and finding a routine is a good way to practice self care. Routines help you find a flow in your day and help get the easy tasks done without much thinking.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:28 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: How do you deal with burnout?
Replies: 124
Views: 449

Re: How do you deal with burnout?

I've been dealing with burnout by making sure I don't cram all of my study work in one day. Sometimes I spend way too much time in one day studying for this class, but ever since I've been spreading out the workload on days throughout the week it has been much less burdening.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:23 pm
Forum: General Science Questions
Topic: Final Exam
Replies: 39
Views: 205

Re: Final Exam

Last quarter for 14A there were a lot of final review sessions that he urged us to go to on the last week so I'm sure it will be the same for this quarter.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:53 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Song from Electrochem Lectures
Replies: 1
Views: 28

Re: Song from Electrochem Lectures

If you are referring to the lecture that was posted today, the song is called Lost on You by LP. If you're talking about a different lecture I definitely suggest you download the Shazam app so you can find songs you hear but don't know the name of easier.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:49 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Fave movie/show
Replies: 66
Views: 324

Re: Fave movie/show

One movie I recently watched was Okja, a film by the same director that directed Parasite. The message this film sends is amazing!
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:46 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Playlist
Replies: 83
Views: 438

Re: Playlist

Northside by Ama Lou is an amazing song that you guys should listen to!
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:41 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Step up vs workshops
Replies: 18
Views: 120

Re: Step up vs workshops

I would suggest you go to one step-up session and then go to as many workshops as you can. Many of the step-up sessions have similar info so only if you are really confused on something, one should be fine. Every workshop, on the other hand, I feel is very helpful because we don't get much problems ...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:01 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Book Recommendations
Replies: 124
Views: 538

Re: Book Recommendations

I remember I read the fiddler on the subway a while ago and it was amazing! Highly suggest
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:50 pm
Forum: Interesting Applications: Rechargeable Batteries (Cell Phones, Notebooks, Cars), Fuel Cells (Space Shuttle), Photovoltaic Cells (Solar Panels), Electrolysis, Rust
Topic: Sapling Week 7/8 #18
Replies: 7
Views: 84

Re: Sapling Week 7/8 #18

One thing that I would say is that once your equation is balanced don't add the parentheses to the hydrate and your answer should go through as correct, I was having that problem. But the previous answer is pretty helpful in how to start it, from there just add in coefficients. Do you know why the ...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:38 pm
Forum: Balancing Redox Reactions
Topic: Sapling Number 10
Replies: 6
Views: 34

Sapling Number 10

For sapling #10 it asks to rank the ability of the oxidizing agent from best to worst. I know we are suppose to refer to the reduction potentials in the chart, but is there a way to solve #10 without using the chart? Also, if this problem was on an exam, would the standard reduction potentials have ...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:55 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: We made it through Midterm 2!
Replies: 71
Views: 270

Re: We made it through Midterm 2!

This quarter is going by so fast, I feel like we just started the quarter a week ago.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:51 pm
Forum: Balancing Redox Reactions
Topic: cool acronym
Replies: 25
Views: 128

Re: cool acronym

Thank you for this! This is really helpful for remembering the meanings.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:50 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Fave food
Replies: 183
Views: 731

Re: Fave food

I've been snacking on a lot of carrots recently for some reason.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:57 am
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Chem 14 B Final
Replies: 34
Views: 220

Re: Chem 14 B Final

Lindsey_Su_3A wrote:Does anyone remember how many questions the final was in 14A?

I think it was around 30 problems for the Chem 14A final.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:18 pm
Forum: Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)
Topic: Textbook Question 4D.7
Replies: 9
Views: 55

Re: Textbook Question 4D.7

I was also wondering why the temperature is 298k when its not written in the problem, and if we can assume it, in what other situations would we assume the temperature is 298k? Something in the problem seems to be missing because we can't assume the temperature to be 298K unless we are told that. T...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:17 pm
Forum: Gibbs Free Energy Concepts and Calculations
Topic: Standard Conditions
Replies: 8
Views: 28

Re: Standard Conditions

I'm pretty sure you would assume the temperature would be 0 degrees Celsius because at Standard Temperature and Pressure, temperature is 0 degrees celcius or 273.15 K.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:55 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Midterm 2
Replies: 11
Views: 105

Re: Midterm 2

Yes, Van't Hoff is on midterm and is included near the end of the Thermodynamics Outline for reference.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:25 am
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Valentine's Day Long Weekend!
Replies: 30
Views: 210

Re: Valentine's Day Long Weekend!

Happy Valentines Day everyone! Have fun over this long weekend!
by Jason_Glass_2L
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:50 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Thoughts on Upcoming Midterm 2
Replies: 41
Views: 250

Re: Thoughts on Upcoming Midterm 2

I feeling very uncertain as well. I thought I prepared decently for the first one, but that wasn't the case when it came to the actual midterm. I've been focusing on really staying on top of things in the last two weeks and keeping up with the content but I don't know if it will translate sadly.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:43 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Classes for next quarter?
Replies: 162
Views: 797

Re: Classes for next quarter?

I'm a little torn between taking Stats 13 and LS 40, but other than that I'm most likely going to take Chem 14BL and a Historical Analysis GE course.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: MyUCLA Grade
Replies: 27
Views: 193

Re: MyUCLA Grade

I also don't have any grades other than the midterm right now. I'm sure they are fixing it right now or have a reason to take them off so don't worry.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:01 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Preparing for Midterm 2
Replies: 14
Views: 81

Re: Preparing for Midterm 2

I'm preparing for the midterm by doing as much practice problems as possible. Last midterm, I focused very conceptually, so even though I understood the concepts, I struggled to solve some of the problems quick enough.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:02 pm
Forum: Ideal Gases
Topic: Gas Constant Value
Replies: 43
Views: 177

Re: Gas Constant Value

What examples are there for using R=8.314 J*K^-1mol^-1) because I'm still kind of confused why it seems to be used interchangeable with the other R value A good way to understand the difference between the two is that the one with the one with the L atm unit can be multiplied by the conversion of 1...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:16 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Chem Community Grade Error
Replies: 15
Views: 113

Re: Chem Community Grade Error

There is no need to worry about your grade as of right now. They probably submitted the grade before you had the chance to make your 5 posts, so it will most likely update when they recheck for you 25 posts.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:08 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Can We Review our Exams?
Replies: 69
Views: 302

Re: Can We Review our Exams?

Do we have to review the midterm right after we take it? Like if I don't review it this week would I still be able to review it next week?
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:06 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Chemistry Community Points
Replies: 11
Views: 80

Re: Chemistry Community Points

They should be added as soon as you actually make the posts, so if you finish you 5 posts before the Sunday deadline then you should be fine.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:46 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Chem 14BL Workload
Replies: 22
Views: 148

Re: Chem 14BL Workload

Hi! I am currently in Chem 14BL with Casey and currently the workload is not too bad! The workload is manageable as its really only 2 assignments per week but really only one if your group manages to stay on task. I think it definitely could be doable but just remember to really communicate well wi...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:51 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Go treat yourself after MT1!
Replies: 75
Views: 353

Re: Go treat yourself after MT1!

I don't know about you guys but this post midterm depression is hitting like a truck. I did eat like 10 of those Toll House cookies to numb the pain. We can only look up from here and learn from our mistakes though. Congrats everyone!
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:35 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Midterm Sectioning
Replies: 7
Views: 38

Re: Midterm Sectioning

Last quarter Lavelle didn't make the second midterm cumulative, so I'm fairly sure he wouldn't make it cumulative this time either.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:24 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Spring 2021
Replies: 106
Views: 652

Re: Spring 2021

I'm going to take BL over spring, but when I was talking to someone who was taking it simultaneously with 14d, they said they didn't feel disadvantaged for taking it later.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:44 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Favorite Music
Replies: 105
Views: 539

Re: Favorite Music

I've been listening to a lot of Lauryn Hill, so if anyone hasn't listened to her albums I highly suggest you do.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:42 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: CHEM 14B Midterm 1 Notes
Replies: 23
Views: 179

Re: CHEM 14B Midterm 1 Notes

Thank you for making your time to make this! It is really in depth and made very well.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:40 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Midterm
Replies: 18
Views: 176

Re: Midterm

Massimo_Capozza_1G wrote:Do we get a equation sheet for the test?

Yes, we get to use the equation sheet he has on his website for the midterm.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:57 am
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: How to find my posts
Replies: 98
Views: 50899

Re: How to find my posts

A similar question, how do I find my classmates posts. The wides range of dates are a bit confusing. I would suggest going to the tab that says new posts and scrolling through those because those are categorized by the time of the last person who posted or commented on the question. Also you can go...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:54 am
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Midterm
Replies: 18
Views: 176

Re: Midterm

To answer both questions of concern, I think the midterm will be taken in our respective lecture times. The material covered in our upcoming exam will probably feature stuff up until the end of Week 3; that's how it was done in 14A, so I assume the same will be done here. Since he combined the sapl...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:52 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Motivation
Replies: 34
Views: 198

Re: Motivation

I felt the same as you, and having it online made it feel so much less like a real class and more like a Khan Academy course. I think being in the GroupMe and knowing other people were experiencing the same things as me kept me motivated. Can you post the GroupMe link on here or is there already a ...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:46 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Midterm Exams
Replies: 7
Views: 126

Re: Midterm Exams

It will be very similar in format to last years midterms. The only major difference is that it won't be during your discussion time, meaning that everyone is taking the midterm at the same time.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:25 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Exam Format
Replies: 15
Views: 161

Re: Exam Format

LeanneBagood_2F wrote:Adding on to this, does anyone know/has anyone heard how the Zoom calls will work this quarter since we aren't taking the exams during our discussion?

I think it will be very similar to our final, where we would just select the zoom call that was for our discussion section during the final time.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:22 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Comfort Movies
Replies: 130
Views: 589

Re: Comfort Movies

Some of my comfort movies are any Incredibles movie, also Turbo is a really silly comfort movie that is pretty good to have as background noise.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:04 am
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Chemistry Posts in 14B
Replies: 168
Views: 3902

Re: Chemistry Posts in 14B

I took 14A over the summer and used a different textbook. As a result, I am rusty and at the same time new to the course style, content, etc. What should I know beforehand about succeeding in this course? What may seem optional but really should be mandatory? Something that seems optional but shoul...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:52 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Study Habits
Replies: 96
Views: 400

Re: Study Habits

A study habit you should definitely implement is doing more interactive studying. By having someone explain a problem step by step, and you being able to clear up questions right on the spot really helps with confidence on the material for the exams.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:48 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Midterms During Lecture
Replies: 44
Views: 290

Re: Midterms During Lecture

Cooper Kinne 2E wrote:We'll still be in a zoom call with our TA, though, right?

Yeah I'm sure we are still doing the monitored exams with the zooms still.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:51 pm
Forum: Ideal Gases
Topic: Advice on how to navigate Chem Community
Replies: 17
Views: 148

Re: Advice on how to navigate Chem Community

Another tip is to utilize the search function in the quick links tab. If I have a question on sapling and I don't really want to wait a long time for a response, I just search sapling in the searchbar and try and find the question number.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:46 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: New Year Resolutions?
Replies: 54
Views: 285

Re: New Year Resolutions?

Well, my goals for this year is to get a better grade in this class than I did last quarter. Learning to cook better is also on the list too.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:35 pm
Forum: Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient
Topic: Direction of a non-equilibrium reaction
Replies: 11
Views: 101

Re: Direction of a non-equilibrium reaction

To add on, a good way to visualize this is like a see-saw, if Q>K, the amount of products would be greater than at equilibrium because =Products/reactants. We want the the amount on each sides to reach equilibrium, so we would favor the left (reactants) side to do so.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:28 pm
Forum: Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations
Topic: How do you know when to use Kc vs Kp?
Replies: 9
Views: 101

Re: How do you know when to use Kc vs Kp?

It will usually say in the question which K they want, but if it isn't stated, then just use what ever information is given. For example, If moles and volume are given you would use Kc and if a partial pressure is given then you use Kp.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:14 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Question about sapling homework
Replies: 5
Views: 59

Re: Question about sapling homework

You can attempt it as many times as you want, just don't press the give up button because I think it won't give you points then.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:56 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: PUSH THROUGH!!
Replies: 29
Views: 214

Re: PUSH THROUGH!!

Thank you for the encouragement. Hopefully all the studying we have done will end up paying off. GL for tomorrow everybody!
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:49 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Winter Break
Replies: 44
Views: 373

Re: Winter Break

I would make an outline highlighting only key concepts for each topic. It would be good to have 3-4 bulletpoints for each topic so you don't clutter your page. The concepts are probably the things that will reoccur in future classes, so I wouldn't spend time focusing on the little details.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:44 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Saying Thank You to Dr. Lavelle
Replies: 416
Views: 143986

Re: Saying Thank You to Dr. Lavelle

Thank you for the wonderful learning experience you provided for 14A. Even with COVID, this class was amazing to take!
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:17 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Anxiety
Replies: 75
Views: 499

Re: Anxiety

I'm coping my anxiety by taking intermittent breaks to do things I enjoy more because studying for too many hours straight make anxiety even worse for me.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:15 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Grading scale
Replies: 29
Views: 324

Re: Grading scale

I'm pretty sure its the same as the standard grading scale at UCLA, where >93 is an A, and a number inbetween 93 and 90 is an A-.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:20 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: final study
Replies: 42
Views: 214

Re: final study

I'm going to try and go to all the review sessions because those are probably more productive than me studying on my own.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:45 pm
Forum: Naming
Topic: Sapling
Replies: 11
Views: 141

Re: Sapling

Matlynn Giles 1A wrote:I would try looking at the ligand sheets or quizlets to help with naming ligands! Found it super helpful!


Here is the link to the ligand naming sheet that Lavelle has on the website for easy reference.
https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... pounds.pdf
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:43 pm
Forum: Naming
Topic: Naming on the Final
Replies: 4
Views: 42

Re: Naming on the Final

There won't be many questions on naming, so you should still study it but not as much as other things like the person below said.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:59 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Calculating grade
Replies: 24
Views: 329

Re: Calculating grade

He said our grade would be a raw score right? Like he wouldn't curve it?
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:56 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Final
Replies: 21
Views: 173

Re: Final

I'm sure they would be fairly similar or else he would have informed us otherwise, so I assume you would need a secondary device.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:27 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Final Format
Replies: 35
Views: 375

Re: Final Format

I think the format and type of questions will be very similar to the midterms but with just a larger volume of problems.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:36 pm
Forum: Sigma & Pi Bonds
Topic: Rotation
Replies: 13
Views: 153

Re: Rotation

Yes because Pi bonds are only seen in double and triple bonds, where a double bond has 1 pi bond and a triple bond has 2 pi bonds.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:33 pm
Forum: Lewis Structures
Topic: Tips on drawing Lewis structures
Replies: 20
Views: 188

Re: Tips on drawing Lewis structures

To add on to this, are there any Lewis structures that you all think we should all be pretty solid with? Like not necessarily know them by heart but be able to do them with ease if that makes sense? The lewis structures we should be probably be able to do by ease are lewis structures similar to tho...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:10 pm
Forum: Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)
Topic: Knowing VESPR for final
Replies: 5
Views: 45

Re: Knowing VESPR for final

I would try and memorize all of them because it seems like any of them are likely to show up for the exam. If you can't memorize all of them, I would try and memorize the lower bond pair shapes as they are more likely to show up because they are more common.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:30 am
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Final
Replies: 15
Views: 160

Re: Final

Since there is so much more time, do you guys think he will make the test harder but keep the same amount of questions or make the test the same but add a lot more questions?
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:17 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Final Study
Replies: 32
Views: 265

Re: Final Study

You should definitely try to study now by allotting time to each topic every day. Also, going to the step-up sessions helps more than you would think.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:25 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Finals!
Replies: 43
Views: 402

Re: Finals!

The finals are cumulative, but I'm pretty sure more of the final is going to be focused on the last topics we learned rather than anything else.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:03 pm
Forum: General Science Questions
Topic: # of chem posts
Replies: 27
Views: 389

Re: # of chem posts

Also, make sure you have 5 posts/week. The chem posts don't carry over week by week if you have more than 5. You can check the specifics by clicking the 3 bars next to quick links and clicking "Your posts." There, you can check when you posted by clicking on the particular topic and searc...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:59 pm
Forum: Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)
Topic: London Dispersion
Replies: 33
Views: 225

Re: London Dispersion

Yeah, LDF happens between all molecules, but the degree of the strengths may be different depending on the size of the molecule. Larger Molecules will have larger LDF and molecules with more electrons will have stronger LDFs.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:13 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: First Passing 14B
Replies: 6
Views: 84

Re: First Passing 14B

Yes, you should be fine. Lavelle is probably going to add much more seats into the class.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:51 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Positive Encouragement for Midterm Week
Replies: 14
Views: 117

Re: Positive Encouragement for Midterm Week

This one just has a lot more concepts than the other midterm which is making me nervous. I don't want to mix the trends up.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:31 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Midterm 2
Replies: 23
Views: 171

Re: Midterm 2

It's the same amount of time, the 6 minutes is just the extra if there are issues setting up.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:41 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Exercising Our Minds and Bodies
Replies: 120
Views: 836

Re: Exercising Our Minds and Bodies

I've been trying to skateboard because it seem to exert a lot more energy than I thought initially. I didn't think I would get so much more exhausted by skateboarding rather than running.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:58 pm
Forum: Octet Exceptions
Topic: Elements that can have Expanded Octet
Replies: 5
Views: 51

Elements that can have Expanded Octet

Can only elements in the 3d have an expanded octet or is it any element in the d subshell?
by Jason_Glass_2L
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:55 pm
Forum: Ionic & Covalent Bonds
Topic: Intramolecular force vs Intermolecular force
Replies: 3
Views: 35

Re: Intramolecular force vs Intermolecular force

Intermolecular is between other molecules, and Intramolecular is within the molecule. Also as a sidenote to remember, Intramolecular forces are stronger than intermolecular.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:30 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Taking Bio and Chem simultaneously
Replies: 26
Views: 125

Re: Taking Bio and Chem simultaneously

I believe that taking Bio and Chem aren't that bad because some of the topics are connected. The work load is a lot, so since we are also in quarantine with not much to do, it is definitely something I would suggest.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:49 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: grade worries
Replies: 110
Views: 1308

Re: grade worries

Yeah, thinking about your grades is natural. Something I would suggest to relief your worries is to think back to what you did good and bad on during the first midterm because that will help you feel a little more confident in your ability and understand your previous mistakes.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:45 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Studying From Home
Replies: 91
Views: 632

Re: Studying From Home

One thing that has been very helpful to me is to keep you phone in another room, because then you won't even think about accessing your phone. Also I would suggest in getting some sort of earplugs or earmuffs if your surrounding area is very loud.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:35 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: How to find my posts
Replies: 98
Views: 50899

Re: How to find my posts

305614361 wrote:What does it mean, if someone question is endorsed?

I think endorse means one of the moderators thought that the answer someone gave was a very good answer, so they endorsed it so students would refer to that answer.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:31 pm
Forum: Ionic & Covalent Bonds
Topic: Ionic v. Covalent Bonds`
Replies: 10
Views: 67

Re: Ionic v. Covalent Bonds`

A good way to remember the difference is to think of a covalent bond like a COUPLE in a relationship, because you have to share. But for an ionic bond, you are INDIVIDUALS, so you don't want to share and keep everything for yourself.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:17 pm
Forum: Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom
Topic: wavelength
Replies: 13
Views: 116

Re: wavelength

Hello! A wavelength can never be negative.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:41 am
Forum: General Science Questions
Topic: Midterm Grades
Replies: 30
Views: 388

Re: Midterm Grades

mlouie_1I wrote:I don't know when the grades will be posted, but questions are weighted differently and under the midterm on CCLE, it says "higher point questions have partial credit for some incorrect answers".

Does that mean this midterm won't be curved for sure now?
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:36 am
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Favorite TV shows
Replies: 212
Views: 1590

Re: Favorite TV shows

I would recommend you to rewatch Spongebob episodes. I was recently rewatching many of the episodes and there were so many cool little details in the episodes that I missed when I was younger. Also, when TV shows pick up with new episodes, I suggest you to watch Stumptown because the lead character ...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:59 pm
Forum: Properties of Electrons
Topic: Rydeberg's Equation Help
Replies: 3
Views: 61

Re: Rydeberg's Equation Help

So I know there are two formulas and one of them is v = R(1/n^2 - 1/n^2) . I understand that when an electron absorbs a photon, it moves to a higher energy level and the energy is positive. Why do I calculate a negative value using this equation when moving to a higher energy level? For example, le...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:29 pm
Forum: Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy
Topic: sapling question 8
Replies: 5
Views: 102

Re: sapling question 8

I followed these steps and ultimately arrived at a situation where I knew everything except the values of n1 and n2 inside the brackets. Is there no other way of solving other than guessing and checking? Am I missing some extremely obvious trick of algebra? Hello! Since this is a Balmer series (bc ...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:02 pm
Forum: Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy
Topic: What n1 and n2 represents in the Rydberg Equation?
Replies: 9
Views: 119

Re: What n1 and n2 represents in the Rydberg Equation?

Hi! I'm basing the definition of n1 and n2 from the constants and equations sheet we need printed out for the midterm. n1 would be considered the final energy level and n2 would be considered initial energy level. Now I'm kind of confused. I thought N1 is initial and N2 is final because if you deri...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:12 pm
Forum: General Science Questions
Topic: E vs 10 in calculator
Replies: 2
Views: 41

Re: E vs 10 in calculator

Yeah E is the same thing as 10^_ on a calculator. One thing about 10^ that's different than E is that you may need to add parenthesis when you use 10^ if the exponent is in the denominator so the calculator will divide as you intend.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:59 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Midterm calculator policy
Replies: 10
Views: 94

Re: Midterm calculator policy

My TA also said that you can use any calculator because a graphing calculator will not give you any specific advantage over scientific for this exam.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:01 pm
Forum: Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation
Topic: Showing our Work on the Midterm
Replies: 10
Views: 112

Re: Showing our Work on the Midterm

Hello! Just to add on, make sure you don't have any markings on your equation sheets before you start the exam because then the TA wont allow you to use it then.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:40 pm
Forum: Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy
Topic: Rydberg Formula
Replies: 3
Views: 50

Re: Rydberg Formula

To add on, I realized you said that you plugged in n=4 into n1 and n=2 into n2. Just remember for the Rydberg equation if the negative isn't factored out with the R constant in the equation, the n that comes first in the equation will be your starting n level and the n that comes second in the equat...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:53 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Exams
Replies: 12
Views: 104

Re: Exams

We can use our phones for a webcam, but our phone camera has to be angled so the TA can see our workspace.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:49 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Step Up Sessions
Replies: 1
Views: 25

Step Up Sessions

Would it be worth it to go to multiple step up sessions? I am assuming they are covering the same topics, so I wasn't sure if I should still attend multiple sessions or if I should just go to one step up and a workshops instead.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:11 pm
Forum: Properties of Light
Topic: History of Chemistry
Replies: 1
Views: 36

Re: History of Chemistry

I would honestly doubt we would need to know that type of information because this class is more conceptually based than memorization.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:10 pm
Forum: General Science Questions
Topic: Classical vs Quantum
Replies: 6
Views: 94

Classical vs Quantum

Quick question, classical mechanics pertains to things you would learn in physics while quantum pertains more to chemistry right? I know there is a strong overlap between both chemistry and physics so it won't be definitive, but is this generally true?
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:39 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Accessing the E-textbook [ENDORSED]
Replies: 107
Views: 9419

Re: Accessing the E-textbook [ENDORSED]

When you are on the homework problems for sapling, there should be a tab that says resources, and from there you can click on the textbook and look through it. I using the free trial still and this was how I access the textbook. Hope this helps!
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:33 pm
Forum: Administrative Questions and Class Announcements
Topic: Petition to Bring Music Back To Lectures [ENDORSED]
Replies: 34
Views: 562

Re: Petition to Bring Music to Back To Lectures [ENDORSED]

Yes please! It really brings up my day every time I see Lavelle vibe to music.
by Jason_Glass_2L
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:46 pm
Forum: SI Units, Unit Conversions
Topic: Rounding
Replies: 20
Views: 169

Re: Rounding

You are probably going to want to keep the most accurate values until the final answer. If you want to make things easier, if you know the answer would be 4 sig figs, I would round the numbers before to 5 to six sig figs to stay safe of missing the answer by a 0.001. Another thing you can do is use ...
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:44 pm
Forum: Student Social/Study Group
Topic: Office Hours
Replies: 7
Views: 62

Office Hours

For office hours, is it ok if we just come to listen to others questions or do we have to come with questions ready?
by Jason_Glass_2L
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:34 pm
Forum: Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions
Topic: Sapling homework number 10
Replies: 6
Views: 95

Re: Sapling homework number 10

That makes sense, so this means that there would be another one drawn or the number of moles would be written in the question. When you say write the formula for the given diagram, how would we know the formula? Wouldn't we have to look it up?

Go to advanced search