Workbook Page 11 Number 5

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Allison_Eminhizer_3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Workbook Page 11 Number 5

Postby Allison_Eminhizer_3A » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:26 am

Given is Copper(II)Sulfate . 5water
I'd type out the formula but I'm not sure how to do subscripts

My first question is why there is a period between copper(II)sulfate and water, I don't know what to make of it or if its just a typo?

The rest of the problem is determine the mass of Copper(II)Sulfate . 5water that must be used to prepare 250mL of 0.20 M Copper(II)Sulfate(aq).
I'm really rusty on this topic and I'm not sure how to carry out the steps.

Preston_Dang_1B

Re: Workbook Page 11 Number 5

Postby Preston_Dang_1B » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:21 am

The placement of the period is a little bit off in the equation. The dot is meant to be a little higher up and in between Copper(II) Sulfate and 5 Water and is meant to be a sort of "multiplication dot" that indicates that the compound is a type of hydrate, hence the additional 5 water molecules that are also part of the formula and mass of the compound. The formula that is implied is CuSO4 5H2O. From there, multiply 0.20 M by .250 L and you'll get the number of moles of Copper(II) Sulfate Pentahydrate that are required to make that solution. After that, multiply the number of moles you get by the molar mass of CuSO4 5H2O and you'll get the mass needed to make a solution of that molarity.

Isayan_Natalie_3L

Re: Workbook Page 11 Number 5

Postby Isayan_Natalie_3L » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:44 am

That weird period in between water and copper(II) sulfate is not a typo, it means that it's a hydrate. The rest of the problem is pretty simple, you just use the M=moles of solute/liter formula, plug in the values for molarity and volume, which are already given, and solve for n. After getting n you just multiply number of moles by the molar mass of copper(II) sulfate and 5 H2O to get the answer.

n=.05 moles hydrated copper(II) sulfate

O

Hopefully that makes sense & equation editor is working.

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”