Molar Mass and Atomic Mass

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Yingru_Huang_3E

Molar Mass and Atomic Mass

Postby Yingru_Huang_3E » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:30 am

So far, I understand the material, but I am just curious conceptually as to why we use the atomic mass on the periodic table, which has its own units (atomic mass units), as molar mass when we solve these problems? Is it because atomic mass units are the same as molar mass units (g.mol^(-1)), and hence can be converted between the two units?

Sean Monji 2B

Re: Molar Mass and Atomic Mass

Postby Sean Monji 2B » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:15 pm

I think we use molar mass for conversions because it is the average mass per mole of commonly found isotopes of that element. Atomic mass is specific to one isotope, and is the number of protons and neutrons in that one atom. Basically, molar mass is an average that can be used as a basis for converting between mols and grams while atomic mass is just a measurement of protons and neutrons.

They use the wrong terminology for molar mass on the periodic table most times, calling it atomic mass, though it is really the molar mass since no element has one specific mass. I think they do this so it’s easier to understand for teaching purposes.

The units are a result what is being measured or what the numbers represent, not just for conversion purposes. They are, though, helpful for checking if a conversion is correct (as Professor Lavelle has said)

Melissa_Aguirre1J

Postby Melissa_Aguirre1J » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 am

The molar mass is the atomic mass expressed in grams.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 406 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:11 pm

The molar mass is the mass of 1 mole of the compound. It is not the atomic mass expressed in grams.

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”