dilution

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hannah Lee 1B

dilution

Postby Hannah Lee 1B » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:30 pm

when you mix one solution of a certain molarity and volume with another solution of a different molarity and volume, how do you find the new molarity? is it just adding everything

KateCaldwell 1A

Re: dilution

Postby KateCaldwell 1A » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:24 pm

I believe you would have to convert the molarity of both substances into moles, then add together the two substance's moles. Add together the liters, then divide the new moles by the new amount of liters to get the new molarity.

Yeo Bin Yook 1K

Postby Yeo Bin Yook 1K » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:33 pm

molarity(M) = moles of solute(n) / volume of solution(v)
MinitialVinitial = MfinalVfinal

These should help when figuring it out. And when diluting a solution the moles of solute should remain the same.

Hope_Pham_1G

Postby Hope_Pham_1G » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 pm

In dilutions, the value of n, the moles of solute, ALWAYS remains the same. That is why N(initial) = N(final). And thus, M(i)V(i) = M(f)V(f). V(f) also, is the value of the initial solution PLUS the additional solution required for diluting.

Isobel Tweedt 1E

Postby Isobel Tweedt 1E » Sat May 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Another note on this topic - I asked my TA what happens when you remove a solute and if that changes the volume. She said that typically the change in volume would be so small we're not expected to calculate the density and correspodning change in volume. However, this calculation density = (mass)/(volume) might be handy to know just in case.

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”