Titrations v Dilutions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

rkang00

Titrations v Dilutions

Postby rkang00 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:50 pm

Just wondering, what's the difference between titrations and dilutions? I swear I learned it in high school but I just can't remember - I often get confused between the two.

Lumbini Chandrasekera 1B

Re: Titrations v Dilutions

Postby Lumbini Chandrasekera 1B » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:59 pm

Dilution is where you reduce the concentration of a substance by adding distilled water, for instance. Titration is the process of finding the concentration of a substance (like an acid or base) by adding a solution of known concentration.

Tam To 1B

Re: Titrations v Dilutions

Postby Tam To 1B » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Titrations are when you measure the volume of one solution and see how much you need for it to react with the volume of another solution. For example, think of acid-base titrations. You know the amount of volume of the acid in a flask, but you don't know how much base is needed to react and neutralize the acid. You would titrate the acid with the base to find out how much volume of each reactant is needed for neutralization. (Imagine the erlenmeyer flask, burette, and burette stand.)
Meanwhile, dilution is basically reducing the amount of solute by adding more solvent. For example, you can do this by adding more water to reduce the concentration.

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”