Concentration- Calculating Volume

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

duverge_maciel

Concentration- Calculating Volume

Postby duverge_maciel » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:09 pm

I don't understand how to calculate the volume of the solution the researcher needs for problem G11 of the 6th edition. How do I know which is the initial volume of the problem is if I am just given the initial mass and final mass?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 406 times

Re: Concentration- Calculating Volume

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:13 pm

You are given the initial molarity and the final mass. Recall that molarity is moles/liter, and the problem states the moles you want. If you divide moles by moles/liter, you are left with the volume. Always start by looking at the units of what's given to help you start the problem.

Yvonne Du

Postby Yvonne Du » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:16 pm

When asked to look for Molarity/volume/moles, one of the common equation that we use is M=moles/volume. You are given the moles and molarity, which means you can use this formula to find the volume.

Emily Li 4A

Postby Emily Li 4A » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:21 pm

For the beginning of these problems, I always find it helpful to write down new formulas (especially because it helps with my memory) without anything plugged into them. Alike to what Chem_Mod has said, doing this and finding what data is available helps you make a connection and forwards your problem solving.

Faith Fredlund 1H

Postby Faith Fredlund 1H » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:29 pm

When giving our responses, when do we have to use SI units?

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”