Solutions vs. Dilutions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

rachelle1K

Solutions vs. Dilutions

Postby rachelle1K » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi all, I was wondering if there were any key words in determining if a problem was asking about solution vs. dilutions? I have been trying to puck up some distinctions but have had trouble finding them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

MingdaH 3B

Re: Solutions vs. Dilutions

Postby MingdaH 3B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:06 pm

For me, the main distinction between the two types of problems is that solution problems, which usually use the molarity = moles / liters, usually talk about creating a solution, while dilution problems, which use mv=mv, will usually give you a starting solution wheres solvent is added in some way.

Alfred Barrion 2H

Postby Alfred Barrion 2H » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:12 pm

Dilution problems typically use the term "stock solution" when one wants to dilute a certain compound. For example a problem might say you have a stock solution of 12.0 M NaOH and it would want you to figure out how much stock solution is needed to get 250. mL of 2.0 M NaOH. The word "stock solution" is one of many ways to determine if a problem wants you to use the equation mv=mv. Solution problems typically require you to use M=mol/l such as the other poster said :)

Hussain Chharawalla 1G

Postby Hussain Chharawalla 1G » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 pm

Just to add on, a dilution is more evident when you have already been given a solution. Try to pay close attention to the last statement where it will usually clarify.

BryantChung_4B

Postby BryantChung_4B » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:42 am

As the others have stated, the difference between solution and dilution is almost like creation and modifying. Dilution is simply using a concentrated solution to create a less concentrated one.

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”