Significant Figures in Molarity/Dilution Problems

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nigah Fatima

Significant Figures in Molarity/Dilution Problems

Postby Nigah Fatima » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:02 am

I was confused that when we do any sort of problem that's about finding the molarity or dilution, are we supposed to follow significant figure rules when boxing our final answer? For example, if the lowest significant number in the problem is 2 and the answer has quite a few decimal points so would we round it to 2 significant figures as well or can we round it to the amount we want to? So basically my question is for these sorts of problems, should significant figures be taken into account?

Alexander Moroz 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Significant Figures in Molarity/Dilution Problems

Postby Alexander Moroz 1B » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:21 am

Yes, sig fig rules apply for all problems including molarity and dilution. Final answer for types of problems like m1v1=m2v2 should have the same sig figs as a given value with the least amount of sig figs when compared to other values given in the problem.

radhika singh 1A

Postby radhika singh 1A » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:08 am

I agree with Alex. The way I was taught was to always consider significant figures when doing calculations and following the rules. So if the least amount of significant figures when doing molarity calculations is 2, the final answer should have 2 significant figures as well. Hope this helps! :)

Alison King 3L
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Alison King 3L » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:16 am

Yes, just make sure not to round any numbers until your final answer if there are multiple steps and keep track of what the sig figs should be for each step until the final step

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”