How to describe preparation of solutions?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joanne Sarsam 2F

How to describe preparation of solutions?

Postby Joanne Sarsam 2F » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:40 pm

Textbook problem G.7 states: You need to prepare 510. g of an aqueous solution containing
5.45% KNO3 by mass. Describe how you would prepare the solution and what mass of each component you would use.

When describing the preparation of a solution, how specific should we be? Should we mention specific lab instruments like flasks, scales for measuring out substances, etc, or should we be more general and just explain that we need to measure out "x" grams of substance into "x" liters of liquid?

Thanks!

Maleeha Zaman 1K

Re: How to describe preparation of solutions?

Postby Maleeha Zaman 1K » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:59 pm

Hi Joanne! You don't have to get too specific when describing how to prepare the solution, but just mention the key parts and instruments involved in the process. For instance, in this problem, you're going have to measure the proper amount of grams in H2O and KNO3, so mentioning that you would use a balance to do so would be great. Also, since H2O is the solvent, mentioning that you would pour it into a beaker will also be necessary. Furthermore, make sure that you identify which is the solute and which is the solvent as you describe how you prepare the solution. Hope this helps :)

Mrinalini Mishra 2L

Postby Mrinalini Mishra 2L » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:15 pm

Hi Joanne, just make sure you mention the type of equipment you'd use to dilute the solution and the math steps you'd take to figure out the exact number of grams of KNO3 you'd need.

Chloe Fuson

Postby Chloe Fuson » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:34 pm

Hi, another important thing to note when describing the prep of a solution is that when creating solutions, you usually put the water in the beaker first and then add your solute to the water, because if the solution were to splash back up at you when pouring in the second substance, it would be better to have something harmless like water splashing up rather than another potentially dangerous material. I know KNO3 is not an acid, but this is especially important when working with acids and water :)

Joanne Sarsam 2F

Postby Joanne Sarsam 2F » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:42 pm

Thank you all! I appreciate the help. The point regarding adding the water first is really important--this lab safety tip completely slipped my mind, I'll be sure to include it in all my descriptions going forward.

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”