staggered vs eclipsed stability

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

anatorres1B

staggered vs eclipsed stability

Postby anatorres1B » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:59 pm

I think I just misheard Dr. Lavelle in lecture, but I kind of confused myself as to why a molecule favor an eclipsed position as opposed to a staggered position? In my head, I guess I rationalized that the electron densities would favor a staggered state because of election - electron repulsion.

Josh Ku 3H

Re: staggered vs eclipsed stability

Postby Josh Ku 3H » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:20 pm

I don't recall him saying that eclipsed is the most favorable position so I think you are right with your assumption in that the staggered formation should be more favorable. As you mentioned, a staggered formation would result in less electron-electron repulsion and thus the molecule would have less potential energy and would be more stable. This can also be seen in Butane on page 107 on the course reader as it tells you the energy values of the different conformations. Staggered in all cases, has the lower energy value and thus would be more stable.

I hope this helps!

PriscillaMariscal_3F

Postby PriscillaMariscal_3F » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:57 pm

I understand that a 180 staggered molecule is most stable, but does that mean it has the lowest energy conformation?

Anna_Kim_2E

Postby Anna_Kim_2E » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:19 pm

180 degrees - anti staggered would be the lowest energy conformation.

Return to “*Alkanes and Substituted Alkanes (Staggered, Eclipsed, Gauche, Anti, Newman Projections)”