Axial Bonds and Equatorial Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sylvester_Foley_3G

Axial Bonds and Equatorial Bonds

Postby Sylvester_Foley_3G » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Hello,

Can someone tell me the difference between the Axial and Equatorial bonds, because I am kind of confused why there is a difference. To me they look the same. Is it because the Axial bond is vertical while the equatorial bond is horizontal?

Thank you in advance,
Sylvester :)

Aashi_Patel_3B

Re: Axial Bonds and Equatorial Bonds

Postby Aashi_Patel_3B » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:19 pm

I have the same question but based on what I saw in class today, I think your explanation is correct. The chair conformation in cyclohexane is a very good example of this- watch the conformation of it and it'll be apparent :)

Here is a link for the example of cyclohexane: http://www.chem.uiuc.edu/weborganic/Con ... ne/eMe.htm

Christian_Makar_2D

Re: Axial Bonds and Equatorial Bonds

Postby Christian_Makar_2D » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:23 pm

There aren't any physical differences except for the fact that axial bonds are drawn with a 90 degree angle to the parent chain while equatorials have a smaller slight angle. The main purpose on differentiating between the two is two be able to predict how the axial and equatorial hydrogens on the adjacent carbons will look. So if you have an axial pointing up at about 90 degrees then the next carbon on the chain should have an axial hydrogen pointing down 90 degrees. Same goes for the equatorials. But make sure that each equatorial and axial bond pair are facing opposite directions.

Return to “*Cyclohexanes (Chair, Boat, Geometric Isomers)”