Chair conformation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mason_Aguila_2G

Chair conformation

Postby Mason_Aguila_2G » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:40 pm

For the cyclohexane to flip conformations from one chair to the other, it has to go through the boat conformation correct? Therefore it has to go through the higher energy state to get to the lower?

Danny Nguyen 2H

Re: Chair conformation

Postby Danny Nguyen 2H » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Yes, that is correct and also to break through that boat formation the collision has to be strong enough to break through the energy barrier in order for it the ring flip to occur.

Jordan Pace 2B

Postby Jordan Pace 2B » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:43 pm

For clarity, what exactly is a ring flip? I have heard the term used multiple times but I'm not exactly sure what it means! Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Jordan Pace 2B on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jordan Pace 2B

Postby Jordan Pace 2B » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:44 pm

To add to the comment above, I know a ring flip changes whatever is axial to equatorial, but is there more to it? What's the significance of this?

Calvin Huang 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Calvin Huang 3D » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:31 pm

A ring flip is as the person above described, when all the axial groups become equatorial and all equatorial become axial. Ups remain ups and downs remain downs. Although chair is the most stable form, the significance of this process as described in lecture is for the molecule to reach an even more stable state. Before a flip, there are times when axial/equatorial groups will be in contact with other groups, something which is unfavorable. After the flip, this is fixed, resulting in a more stable state for the molecule.

Return to “*Cyclohexanes (Chair, Boat, Geometric Isomers)”