Question 3.15

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jonathan Enciso 1C

Question 3.15

Postby Jonathan Enciso 1C » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:24 pm

For 1,1-Bromochlorocyclohexane, why would it be more stable with Br in the axial position and Cl in the equatorial position? Do we take into account electronegativity or size of the atom?

NinaSheridan

Re: Question 3.15 plus 3.16 Question

Postby NinaSheridan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:16 am

The book says the "largest" is more stable in the equatorial position, so I would say size. However, I'm confused about 3.16 because it doesn't state whether the conformation is more stable when methyl is equatorial or not. I'm assuming it's more stable when it is equatorial, because CH3 is larger than H, but if someone could confirm that would be great.

Abigail_Low_1A

Re: Question 3.15 plus 3.16 Question

Postby Abigail_Low_1A » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:05 am

NinaSheridan wrote:The book says the "largest" is more stable in the equatorial position, so I would say size. However, I'm confused about 3.16 because it doesn't state whether the conformation is more stable when methyl is equatorial or not. I'm assuming it's more stable when it is equatorial, because CH3 is larger than H, but if someone could confirm that would be great.

For 3.16, the conformation is more stable when methyl is equatorial. You can check the last page of this section in the course reader :-)

Return to “*Cyclohexanes (Chair, Boat, Geometric Isomers)”