Empirical and Molecular Formulas

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Empirical and Molecular Formulas

Postby 604744616 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:07 am

I am having trouble understanding on how exactly to go from an empirical to a molecular formula and vice versa? I do not exactly understand what we need to know or how we get from one to the other? I went over the notes and the videos but it is just the hardest concept for me. Is anyone willing to break this concept down for me? Please and thank you

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 734 times

Re: Empirical and Molecular Formulas

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:46 pm

As I just discussed in my Monday 2-3pm review session:

You have to know the molecular mass to know if you have the empirical or molecular formula.

When you determine your 'formula', calculate its mass per mole.

If it matches the given molecular mass, then you know you have the molecular formula.

If it is less than the given molecular mass, then you have the empirical formula.

CameronJohari1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby CameronJohari1J » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 pm

To go from the empirical formula to the molecular formula, the molar mass of the molecular formula must be known. Divide the molecular formula molar mass by the empirical formula molar mass to get a natural number. Then multiply all the coefficients in the empirical formula by that number to get the molecular formula.
Ex:
empirical formula: CH; molar mass 13.02g/mol
Molar mass of molecular formula: 78.11g/mol
78.11/13.02= 6
Molecular formula C6H6
Hope this helps.

Jingyi Li 2C

Postby Jingyi Li 2C » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:09 pm

The empirical formula is just the ratio of the atoms. The molecular formula shows the actual number of atoms. That is the molecular formula is the multiple of the empirical formula. In order to get the empirical formula from the molecular formula, you need to know the molar mass of the molecular formula. Then you add up all the atomic mass of the empirical formula and use that to divide the molar mass of the molecular formula. The whole number you get is then used to multiply the coefficients in the empirical formula.
In short,
Molar mass of the molecular formula/molar mass of the empirical formula=whole number
whole number * empirical formula=molecular formula

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”