Naming compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

victoriatanaka1C

Naming compounds

Postby victoriatanaka1C » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi. Does anyone know if we have to know how to name chemical compounds only given their name? Like in question E9, it gives us "magnesium sulfate heptahydrate." I had to look up what the molecular formula would be for it. Do we have to be able to come up with the formulas on our own / does anyone have any tips for doing that? Thanks!

Elana Weingord 1C

Re: Naming compounds

Postby Elana Weingord 1C » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:26 pm

I talked to my TA about this one and she said that as the quarter progresses, you will begin to identify certain compounds and know their names. She said that there will not be questions on any of the exams or quizzes asking you to name a compound. Hope that helps!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 406 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:42 pm

I would also encourage you to review sections B-D of the fundamentals sections as they cover elements and compounds.

chemlover

Postby chemlover » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Dr.Lavelle also mentioned in class on the first day that he would not give us a compound without its molecular formula until we learn exactly how to name them. Hope that helped!

Adrienne B 1J

Postby Adrienne B 1J » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi! There's actually a khan academy module that helps with learning the names of compounds if you're interested: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/che ... -compounds

Just scroll a little further down the page and you'll see a table about it.

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”