Question about Theoretical Yield

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tanmay Singhal 1H

Question about Theoretical Yield

Postby Tanmay Singhal 1H » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:28 pm

Is there any difference between calculating theoretical yield with grams versus theoretical yield with moles?

Arvind 4G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Question about Theoretical Yield

Postby Arvind 4G » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:38 pm

No, they should be the same. If you calculate the theoretical yield in moles then you can convert that into grams as well. Grams and moles can be converted back and forth into one another so when calculating in one, you can just convert it to the other.

Jarrett Peyrefitte 2K

Postby Jarrett Peyrefitte 2K » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Depending on what the question is asking for, there should be no difference because you are able to convert moles to grams and also can be able to convert grams to moles.

For grams to moles: moles x grams /1 mol

For moles to grams: grams x 1 mol / grams

Aadil Rehan 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Aadil Rehan 1D » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:38 pm

I usually find it quicker to just solve to moles first, then convert to grams with the smaller amount. I think the comparison should be done in moles anyway, given that most ratio-comparison things are done with moles.

ATingin_3I

Postby ATingin_3I » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:47 pm

Tanmay Singhal 3F wrote:Is there any difference between calculating theoretical yield with grams versus theoretical yield with moles?

no, they should be the same. if they aren't then you need to check the conversion factor you are using between grams and moles.

RobertXu_2J

Postby RobertXu_2J » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:51 pm

There is no difference between calculating theoretical yield with grams versus theoretical yield with moles. The only difference would be what units your answer is in. Something to always be careful about is what units the question wants your answer to be in. If you find that your units are different from what the question asked for, you can simply convert it using the molar mass.

Julie_Reyes1B

Postby Julie_Reyes1B » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:56 pm

I agree with Robert. It is true that they are the same. However, in general you should pay attention to the units you are given in the question. Your answer should ideally have the same units. For example, if the question uses grams, try to use grams in your answer rather than moles, milligrams, kilograms, etc. All answers would be technically correct but some professors may mark off if your units don't match up.

Junwei Sun 4I

Postby Junwei Sun 4I » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:14 am

You can always convert moles to grams and vice versa so they should be the same.Pay attention to units though especially when you are doing percent yield (which is equal to (actual yield/theoretical yield)*100%) since you'll want units for actual yield and theoretical yield to be the same in this calculation.

Goyama_2A

Postby Goyama_2A » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:55 am

I generally find that it’s best to calculate theoretical yields using whichever unit (miles or grams) it takes less steps to get to with the given information. It gives less room for error. But, assuming everything is done right, there should be no difference in the answer you get for theoretical yield between moles and grams. Just make sure to pay attention to what the problem wants your final answer to be in.

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”