Empirical Formula Help  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Empirical Formula Help

Postby 005095564 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:23 pm

When trying to find the empirical formula, when do we divide the mole by the smallest # of moles calculated? I'm not really sure what the next step is after you find the amount of moles in an element of a compound (g/(g/mol))

NRobbins_1K

Re: Empirical Formula Help

Postby NRobbins_1K » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:37 pm

As an example to answer your question, let's say that you were asked to find the empirical formula for a compound containing 52.14% carbon, 13.2% hydrogen and 34.73% oxygen. It sounds like you know how to convert these percentages to molar amounts, so I'm going to skip that part and assume that you can get to the point where you calculate that this compound contains, in a 100 gram sample, 4.35 moles of carbon, 13.12 moles of hydrogen and 2.17 moles of oxygen. At this point, you divide by the lowest molar amount, because right now you are trying to discover the ratio of the elements in the compound in terms of whole numbers (the empirical formula). You already know that the ratio is 4.35 : 13.12 : 2.17, but we need this ratio in terms of integers, and the way to find that is to divide by the smallest number in the ratio. When we do this, we get 2 : 6 : 1, in other words, for every mole of oxygen atoms, there are 2 moles of carbon and 6 moles of hydrogen. This is the empirical formula, and we can rewrite it as C2H6O. If this isn't clear enough, reply and let me know and hopefully I can clarify.

Brian_Ho_2B

Postby Brian_Ho_2B » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:38 pm

005095564 wrote:When trying to find the empirical formula, when do we divide the mole by the smallest # of moles calculated? I'm not really sure what the next step is after you find the amount of moles in an element of a compound (g/(g/mol))

First, find the mass percent composition (percentage of total mass for each element). Then take each percentage and make it as a number of grams (eg. if an element is 39.2% of the total mass, then let's say in a 100 g sample that there's 39.2 grams of that element). Repeat this process for each element. After that, divide each number by the molar mass to find the number of moles of each element. After this step, you divide the numbers by the smallest number, and then you multiply the formula by a scalar so that all numbers are whole numbers.

Christineg1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Christineg1G » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:39 pm

After you find the amount of moles in each element, you divide the mole values you found by the smallest number of moles calculated. After this step, the outcomes of your division (which should be rounded to whole numbers, if possible) will determine the values for the empirical formula.
If your outcomes of the division were not whole numbers, multiply all the values by a specific whole number in order to have whole numbers. For example if you had an outcome of 1.33 you would multiply it by 3 because it's closest to the whole number 4.
Hope this helps!

AGulati_4A

Postby AGulati_4A » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:41 pm

After dividing each molar value by the lowest one in the group, you have to just multiply those values you get and make them hole numbers. these numbers would be the empirical subscripts for your answer

Mariah

Postby Mariah » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:36 am

What if you cannot multiply to get a whole number? If I have 2.66 for example, could I just round to 3?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Empirical Formula Help  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:26 pm

Mariah wrote:What if you cannot multiply to get a whole number? If I have 2.66 for example, could I just round to 3?

Multiply each result by the same whole number until both equal a whole number (or at least within a couple hundredths). If your result ends in one or the following, multiply all results by same factor.
If your number ends in...
.25 --- multiply all by 4
.33 --- multiply all by 3
.50 --- multiply all by 2
.66 --- multiply all by 3
.75 --- multiply all by 4

An alternative approach would be to turn all your values into mixed fractions such as 0.5 is 1/2, 0.33 is 1/3 and so on. This will allow you to have an easier visualization of the common factor that you have to multiply everything by to obtain whole numbers.

Hope this helps! :)

Mariah

Postby Mariah » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:53 pm

Thank you! This helps a lot. I did not know we could round if it was just a couple hundreths off.

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”