Molecular Formulas and Rules for Figuring out their Names

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Molecular Formulas and Rules for Figuring out their Names

Postby 704578485 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:33 pm

I know that certain molecular formulas of compounds and ions are commonly used and usually need to be remembered such as corbonate(CO3-) or phosphate(PO4-). I also know there are some general rules for naming molecular compounds which include using the greek term to reference the number of moles of a particular element in the compound(such as penta if there were 5 moles of a particular element in the compound). Also, for the last element in a molecular compound you put"ide" at the end(Ex:Chloride). My question regards other compounds that use more specific and complicated rules when being named. Are there any other important or particular compound naming rules we should know. Also, will most problems we encounter already have the molecular or empirical formulas written out or will we need to figure out the molecular formula of a very complex compound just by being given its name?

Orly Termeie 3I

Re: Molecular Formulas and Rules for Figuring out their Name

Postby Orly Termeie 3I » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi! In regards to naming compounds, the review in the course reader section is really helpful! Two main types of compounds are molecular and ionic, and each have their own rules for naming. For acids there are different formulas as well. In some practice problems in the textbook the formulas were given, and other times we had to figure them out. Thus, having a grasp on the formulas would be helpful.

Marvin Lu 1E

Postby Marvin Lu 1E » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:20 pm

In Ionic Compounds you use roman numerals to name ions with different charges. For instance, SnO2 is Tin(IV) Oxide because each oxygen has a -2 charge, making a -4 charge with two O ions. Tin must be +4 to balance that.
In Molecular Compounds greek prefixes are used to show the number of atoms for each ion with the ending becoming an 'ide'. Examples are: P2O5 Diphosphorous pentoxide and SO2 sulfur dioxide.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 745 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Topics on naming compounds can be discussed in viewforum.php?f=45

Naming will not be covered in the lecture until we are finished with the quantum world.

Mahir Pepic 3F

Postby Mahir Pepic 3F » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:06 pm

I have a general understanding of how to name compounds when ending with "-ide." However, what is the rule (if any) for figuring out how to name a compound ending in "-ate" or "-ite" etc.? Thanks!

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”