Molecular formulas for organic chemical structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joanna Huang

Molecular formulas for organic chemical structures

Postby Joanna Huang » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:19 pm

For week 1 Q10 on the sapling homework, I encountered a problem that depicted an organic chemical structure model, and it asked me to find the theoretical yield. I had to search up the formula for that structure. Will we be required to know how to find the molecular formulas for these structures, or will the formula be given to us in the problem? I hope that makes sense. Thank you!

Jagveer 1I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Molecular formulas for organic chemical structures

Postby Jagveer 1I » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:24 pm

I also had to search up the formula for the structure and I think that we will be provided with the formula because of where we are in the class right now, but I am not completely sure if we would need to know the formulas in the future for this class.

Samantha Pedersen 2K
Been upvoted: 9 times

Postby Samantha Pedersen 2K » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:27 pm

Someone asked this question during a UA Workshop, and the UA mentioned that we wouldn't know how to find the molecular formulas for those structures without taking an organic chemistry class. Hopefully Dr. Lavelle or a TA can confirm this, but I think the formula would be given to us on a Chem 14A exam.

Kaihan_Danesh_2J

Postby Kaihan_Danesh_2J » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:35 am

The TA in my class assured us that this is beyond the scope of what we have learned so far and is more of an organic chemistry thing. So, no, we will not have to know the molar masses of these compounds off the top of our heads or through calculations: if we do get them, the molar masses will be given.

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”