Rounding up Molar Ratios

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Quinton Sprague 1A

Rounding up Molar Ratios

Postby Quinton Sprague 1A » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:52 am

I have recently been working on some empirical formula practice and noticed in some instances a molar ratio with values close enough to zero are often accepted while others seemingly just as close are multiplied out to find the next whole number ratio. For instance, I just found the ratio for sucrose: 1.09molC:2.009molH:1molO. My intial thought was that the ratio had values close enough to whole numbers that the empirical form would be C(H2)O, but later found it is (C12)(H22)(O11). At what decimal place is the molar ratio considered close enough to not demand multiplying to a new whole number? Does it vary depedending on type of question? All answers welcome :).

Q Scarborough 1b
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Rounding up Molar Ratios

Postby Q Scarborough 1b » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 am

I have the same problem as well. Sometimes im not sure if I'm meant to round up or find another value to multiply it by. In general, if the values are .95 or above I will round up. Otherwise I will try to find another number to multiply by. Most of our textbook/homework questions will have answers that line up nicely so hopefully this isn't a huge problem.

SophiaNguyen_2L

Postby SophiaNguyen_2L » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:02 am

For me, I round anything within 0.1 of a whole number to the whole number, and so far it's worked. Aside from that, values like 1.5 or 1.25 or even 1.2, I personally tend to multiply to get it to a whole number.

Ashlen Bullock 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Ashlen Bullock 1H » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:08 am

I usually round up anything that is at most .1 away from the integer. I usually do this for every molar ratio question.

SophiaBarden 2E

Postby SophiaBarden 2E » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:18 am

In the audio visual lectures, Lavelle even rounded numbers as far as .2 off. I think a good rule of thumb though is anything more than .2 from a whole number should be further multiplied out to get the ratios.

Sydney Jensen 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sydney Jensen 3L » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:21 pm

If a number is a decimal that is very close to a whole number, I would round to said whole number. If it is a decimal that could be multiplied as a common factor to the other numbers to get a molecular formula for an equation, then I would od so in order to get all of the coefficients to be whole numbers and for the ratios to be equal, since you cannot have a decimal as a coefficient in the end.

alexandralopez 3F

Postby alexandralopez 3F » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Ive been working on these problems too and Ive just been rounding to the nearest whole number if the integer is close enough and its been working for me so far and I've been getting the same answers as the ones provided in the answer key to the textbook.

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”