When Empirical Formula and Molecular Formula are the Same

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

James Patanian 2C

When Empirical Formula and Molecular Formula are the Same

Postby James Patanian 2C » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:09 pm

What do you call it when the empirical and molecular formulas are one in the same?

Lea Baskin Monk 1F
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: When Empirical Formula and Molecular Formula are the Same

Postby Lea Baskin Monk 1F » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:13 pm

I don't think there is a particular vocab word to describe when the empirical and molecular formulas are the same.

Tatyana Bonnet 2H

Postby Tatyana Bonnet 2H » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:14 pm

If the empirical and molecular formula are the same, that means that the empirical formula found is actually the molecular formula. This would be the case if the molar mass of the empirical formula found is the same as the molar mass of the molecule/compound given to you. If you were to divide the Molar mass given by the empirical it would equal 1 making the empirical formula actually the molecular formula. I don't think there is a specific name just that they would be the same.

Shalyn Kelly 3H

Postby Shalyn Kelly 3H » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:16 pm

Hi! I'm not aware of a particular saying for when they're the same. However, it's definitely possible that the molecular formula ends up without any subscripts that can be reduced (to integers), making it the same as the empirical formula.

James Patanian 2C

Postby James Patanian 2C » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Thanks guys. I think it might just be called the molecular formula if they are equivalent tbh but I don't think that will be very important to know considering that he hasn't mentioned it. Also, is the only reason of having the empirical formula to find the molecular formula or is there something else important about having that reduced ratio of atoms in the molecule?

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”