Midterm - Chemical compund equations?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sarah Huang 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Midterm - Chemical compund equations?

Postby Sarah Huang 3A » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:07 pm

Hello!

A couple of peers and myself were wondering if we were supposed to know how to construct formulas for certain chemical compounds, or know the formulas by heart for the midterm? I just want to know the extent of how much should we know because I know that when I was going through the fundamentals, like in E, they asked us questions about the formula with just the chemical compound name, but now actual formula... Would anyone happen to know this?

Thank you!

Faith St Amant 3D

Re: Midterm - Chemical compund equations?

Postby Faith St Amant 3D » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:59 pm

In his office hours a few meetings ago, Dr. Lavelle assured us that he generally avoids giving us a compound in a problem that requires us to know their molecular formula without giving the molecular formula in the question. He did specify that there are some simple compounds he expects us to know by heart (water H2O, carbon dioxide CO2, etc), but that he aims to avoid confusion in the wording of his exam questions. Hope this helps, definitely reach out to your TA if you have any real grilling worries though.

Faaizah Arshad 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Faaizah Arshad 1H » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:00 pm

From what I've been told, because we have not learned nomenclature and naming compounds, the formula of unfamiliar compounds should be given to us.

IreneGi2I

Postby IreneGi2I » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:34 am

Yes I agree that we will not be required to know how to name complex compounds, but I recommend you to look up the nomenclature sheet on chemistry website just for your own sake!

Veeda Khan 2E

Postby Veeda Khan 2E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:50 am

As stated above, common compounds (carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide) should be known as well as all the diatomic molecules.

Grace_Remphrey_2J

Postby Grace_Remphrey_2J » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:01 am

Like everyone said above, you should be ok for the first midterm. Once Dr. Lavelle goes over that topic in the lecture/your TA covers it, then it'll probably be expected for you to understand. Otherwise, I think just the well-known compounds are expected to be memorized! Good luck on the midterm!

Sedge Greenlee

Postby Sedge Greenlee » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:06 pm

As stated by others, you should know some of the basic formulas such as H2O and C02. On that same note though equally important is remembering the definition of "combustion" and "oxidation" as reacting with O2 (usually forming CO2 and H2O as some bypoducts).

Sarah Huang 3A

Postby Sarah Huang 3A » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:46 pm

Thank you everyone! Yes that is very helpful on clarification, so thank you!

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”