Molecular Formula and Empirical Formula Mass

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Angel Gutierrez 2E

Molecular Formula and Empirical Formula Mass

Postby Angel Gutierrez 2E » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:04 am

Hello,

Would it be possible to get a shrink factor to decrease the subscripts of the empirical formula? In other words, does it make sense to have a smaller molecular formula mass than a empirical formula mass and get a number less than 1 that would half the empirical formula?

Gabby Magat 3F

Re: Molecular Formula and Empirical Formula Mass

Postby Gabby Magat 3F » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:44 am

This is an interesting question--since the empirical formula shows the relative ratio of atoms within a molecule, it would always have a smaller mass than the molecular formula. The molecular formula is always either the same or some multiple of the empirical. Considering that the empirical formula is the smallest possible ratio of atoms in a molecule (using integers of course) I don't think we would find the molecular formula mass to be less than the empirical formula's mass.

Vivian Chang 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Hi!
No, it would not make sense to have a smaller molecular formula mass than empirical formula mass because the empirical formula is the lowest whole number ratio of atoms. This means the molecular formula mass would either have to be the same as the empirical formula mass (if the molecular formula were the same as the empirical formula) or greater.

Crystal Hsueh 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Crystal Hsueh 2L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:32 pm

I don't believe it is possible to have a smaller molecular formula than empirical formula because empirical formula means the lowest ratio of atoms

Jordan Tatang 3L
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Jordan Tatang 3L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:04 pm

Yeah, like the others said the empirical formula is the lowest ratio so anything smaller would have to be decimals and not whole numbers which isn't allowed.

George Hernandez 3I

Postby George Hernandez 3I » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:48 pm

That's an interesting question. However the definition of the empirical formula is the whole number ratio of atoms within a molecular formula. So it would not make sense for an empirical formula to have more mass than its molecular formula.

Jade_Tai_2L

Postby Jade_Tai_2L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:55 pm

I think the empirical formula is the lowest whole ratio of atoms possible! A molecular formula shouldn't be smaller than the empirical formula, and I don't think non-whole numbers are preferred either (:

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”