Fundamental F17

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessy Ji 2J
Been upvoted: 3 times

Fundamental F17

Postby Jessy Ji 2J » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:13 pm

After I figure out the empirical or molecular formula, how do I know in which order do I write the elements in my answer? For example in the question below, I figured out the empirical formula to be OsC4O4, how do I know that if I should write it as C4O4Os, O4C4Os ect...

Osmium forms a molecular compound with mass percent- age composition 15.89% C, 21.18% O, and 62.93% Os. (a) What is the empirical formula of this compound? (b) From the mass spectrum of the compound, the molecule was determined to have a molar mass of 907 g?mol21. What is its molecular formula?

emily3L

Re: Fundamental F17

Postby emily3L » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:50 pm

For empirical and molecular formulas, you write Carbon first, then Hydrogen, then in alphabetical order. Ionic compounds, oxides, hydroxides, and acids are exceptions.

Irene Kang 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Irene Kang 3F » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:54 pm

You should read Fundamental D Nomenclature in the textbook for more information about how to write chemical formulas and how the naming systems differ.

Also, I think in a different post he wrote that the order doesn't matter and that anything counts as long as the numbers and elements are correct.

Sanjana Sivakumar 2E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Sanjana Sivakumar 2E » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:25 pm

emily3L wrote:For empirical and molecular formulas, you write Carbon first, then Hydrogen, then in alphabetical order. Ionic compounds, oxides, hydroxides, and acids are exceptions.

I know we haven't learned this yet, but to continue off of what Emily said:

For ionic compounds: you write the cation (positive ion) first and then the anion (negative ion).
For oxides: you end with O.
For hydroxides: you end with with OH.
For acids: you start with H.

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”