When to use the diatomic atom

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rebekah Han 2K

When to use the diatomic atom

Postby Rebekah Han 2K » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:18 pm

If we're asked about a diatomic element, do we automatically add a subscript of 2? How do we know when to add the subscript of 2 and when to just leave it as one atom of that element?

For example, if we're talking about a certain amount of nitrogen in the atmosphere, would we put x grams N2? Or would we just leave it as x grams N? If it just says 0.110 g of nitrogen was formed, do we automatically put it as 0.110 g N2?

Jeffrey J Cheng 2L

Re: When to use the diatomic atom

Postby Jeffrey J Cheng 2L » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:51 pm

Good afternoon Rebeka,
If the question specifies "Nitrogen atom" I will just use N. If the question specifies "Nitrogen molecule", I will use N2. If the question specifies neither "atom" nor "molecule" and the context doesn't offer any clues as to which form of nitrogen I should use, I default to N2. But for some questions, it doesn't matter how you interpret it; you will get the correct answer in the end.

For example, let a question ask, "Compound X contains only sodium and nitrogen. It can decompose into its constituent elements, sodium and nitrogen. What is the empirical formula of chemical X if 0.110g of nitrogen and 0.0602g of sodium was produced when Compound X decomposes into its elements?"

The approach here would be to find the moles of each element, sodium and nitrogen, and use their molar ratio to figure out the empirical formula.

Say Student A interprets the question as 0.110g of N2
When the student tries to find the moles of nitrogen atoms, the student gets:

Say Student B interprets the question as 0.110g mol of N
When the student tries to find the moles of nitrogen atoms, the student gets:

The student's results are identical. Their next steps are also identical, and so they will come out with identical answers, despite interpreting the question differently.

Hope that helped!

Mrinalini Mishra 2L

Postby Mrinalini Mishra 2L » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:37 pm

This post above is super helpful! Also remember that if the question says nitrogen gas, it is part of the group of diatomic gases, so you would use N2 vs just N.

Ellie Fox 2K

Postby Ellie Fox 2K » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:35 pm

I agree with the posts above just adding to the last one that also just generally, the diatomic gases are Hydrogen (H2), Nitrogen (N2), Oxygen (O2), Fluorine (F2), Chlorine (Cl2), Iodine (I2), and Bromine (Br2). So if a question asks for any of these as gases, you can assume they are diatomic.

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”