Different Values for Minimized Energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Natalie Nguyen 1D

Different Values for Minimized Energy

Postby Natalie Nguyen 1D » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:11 am

If I minimized the energy of the molecule as soon as I paste it into Chem3D, the bond length I get is different from the value I get if I have the table of bond lengths first, and then minimize the energy. If I have the table up first and then minimize the energy, the actual bond lengths are adjusted to match the optimized bond lengths. Am I supposed to report the value I get before or after I pull up the table? Also, do I report actual or optimized bond lengths?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Different Values for Minimized Energy

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:21 pm

As stated on page 1 of the worksheet: Record all answers to 3 decimal places and use your actual (calculated/measured) values.

On page 3 it states: Answers +/- 0.05 A

Yes there will be differences in the 3rd, 4th, 5th decimal place due to the way the 'stable' state is calculated.

Natalie Nguyen 1D

Postby Natalie Nguyen 1D » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:16 am

When I did both methods for ether and benzene there is a difference in the 1st decimal place.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Natalie Nguyen 1D wrote:When I did both methods for ether and benzene there is a difference in the 1st decimal place.

Values after energy minimizing should not be that different.
Please stop by during one of the many office hours in SLC to clarify what it is you are seeing.

Return to “*Chem3D”