Black body and planck's constant

(Wien's law: )

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jina Bae 2G

Black body and planck's constant

Postby Jina Bae 2G » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:40 pm

what is the significance of the black body and how does this link into the discovery of the planck's constant?

Susie 2D

Re: Black body and planck's constant

Postby Susie 2D » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:46 pm

The black body is a hypothetical matter that emits no light because it absorbs all EM radiation. I am unsure how it came into use with planck's constant discovery. Hopefully someone else can elaborate. I think it is used to scale things to the quantum level because it is so small and to describe EM radiation behavior at this level.

405957853 3I

Re: Black body and planck's constant

Postby 405957853 3I » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:54 pm

Hello, the black body is significant because it was somewhat of an anomaly when viewing through the lens of classical mechanics. Planck came along and formulated the theory that electromagnetic radiation was quantized and therefore existed in "quanta". This essentially laid the groundwork for him to discover planck's constant, which he used in a formula to express the spectral distribution of black body radiation. I could be missing pieces here and there but essentially planck's constant and his theory for quantum mechanics resolved our black body problem.

Return to “*Black Body Radiation”