Understanding Black Body Radiation

(Wien's law: )

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ashwathinair

Understanding Black Body Radiation

Postby ashwathinair » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:23 pm

Exactly what is black body radiation, and what do I need to know about it?

Jiyoon_Hwang_2I

Re: Understanding Black Body Radiation

Postby Jiyoon_Hwang_2I » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:30 pm

Black body radiation is emitted by an object (the "black body") which absorbs all frequencies of light and emits radiation solely based on the wavelength rather than the composition of the object. However, I believe Dr. Lavelle said we don't need to know what black body radiation is.

ckilkeary 2G

Postby ckilkeary 2G » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:35 pm

Black body radiation is what is emitted at different wavelengths by an object heated for a series of temperatures that does not prefer one wavelength over another in terms of absorption. The only time we really mentioned black body in lecture was to say that the description of light as photons explains the intensity profile of black body radiation. I don't think we'll have to know the Stefan-Boltzmann Law, and we probably won't have to know Wien's Law (but just in case) which is T*λ(max) = constant

T: temperature
λ(max): max wavelength
constant: 2.9 mm*K

sbeall_1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby sbeall_1C » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:38 pm

Also, studies of black body radiation led to Planck's hypothesis of the quantization of electromagnetic radiation, which the photoelectric effect then provides evidence of the particle like properties of electromagnetic radiation. Black body radiation, therefore, helped guide research toward discovery of the wave-particle duality of light.

Mai V 4L

Postby Mai V 4L » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:15 am

Does anyone have a video they think is a good reference for this topiic?

Xavier Herrera 3H

Postby Xavier Herrera 3H » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:22 pm

So, just to make sure I understand correctly, a black body absorbs all frequencies of light and emits radiation based on the incoming wavelength of light, so it can emit any wavelength of light. This emission from the black body is the black body radiation.

t_rasul2I

Postby t_rasul2I » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:07 pm

Black body radiation is essentially a "theoretical or model body which absorbs all radiation falling on it, reflecting or transmitting none back. it has something to do with temperature. it won't be covered on the midterm though I believe

tholz11

Postby tholz11 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Black Body radiation is a theoretical concept, because no such object actually exists with these properties. However, in theory a black body is able to absorb any frequency of light and emit radiation at any wavelength. Any emission is called black body radiation.

Jeremy Wei 2C

Postby Jeremy Wei 2C » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi, if I'm not wrong a black body is a theoretical "body" that absorbs all wavelengths of EM radiation, and black body radiation is the radiation that it emits. Hope this helps!

Return to “*Black Body Radiation”