Black Body Radiation

(Wien's law: )

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Abby Lam 3F

Black Body Radiation

Postby Abby Lam 3F » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:22 am

Is black body radiation why black clothes absorb more heat than other colored clothes?

Kat Stahl 2K

Re: Black Body Radiation

Postby Kat Stahl 2K » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:36 am

That would make sense but he hasn't gone into detail about Black Body Radiation yet so I literally have no idea. When I looked it up it said "A blackbody is a theoretical or model body which absorbs all radiation falling on it, reflecting or transmitting none. It is a hypothetical object which is a “perfect” absorber and a “perfect” emitter of radiation over all wavelengths" (https://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/b/ ... +Radiation - I don't know if I need a works cited or something). So by that definition it would make sense that that is why black objects absorb more heat, but again I am not 100% sure!

Eliot Kagan 2G

Postby Eliot Kagan 2G » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:49 pm

The black body radiation is a item that can absorb all frequencies of light and is purely theoretical. Scientist still haven't found any material able to do so. But the reason why black gets hotter than the other colors is because it can absorb more light frequencies than them.

Kelly Ha 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kelly Ha 1K » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:17 pm

Black body radiation is a type of material that will absorb all wavelengths of light and emit at all wavelengths of light. Like the previous post stated, it is a hypothetical material that currently does not exist. Black colored materials are hotter because they absorb more wavelengths of light than white/lighter colored materials and therefore absorb more heat (thermal radiation).

Anya Holbrook 1E

Postby Anya Holbrook 1E » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:31 pm

From what I've understood from Dr. Lavelle's lectures, black body radiation is something that absorbs all wavelengths of light. I think black clothes have properties of this concept in that the darker color material absorbs more wavelengths that lighter color material, but it technically cannot be considered black body radiation because it does not absorb all wavelengths.

josephspindler2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby josephspindler2H » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:54 pm

I am not sure if this is the same concept in action. From what I recall Dr. Lavelle discussing, black body radiation is a theoretical discussion as nothing we know of absorbs all wavelengths of light. Though, color and light absorption would be an interesting discussion. Polar bears are known for their snow-like appearance, but they actually have black skin so that they can best absorb sunlight. It is interesting to see the concepts manifest in the real world, so you're observation was not that far off.

Liam Bertrand 3

Postby Liam Bertrand 3 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:58 pm

Black body is totally hypothetical. Black cloth does absorb more light than say a white cloth, but there is no real thing that can emit and absorb all wavelengths of light.

Return to “*Black Body Radiation”