Wave function?  [ENDORSED]

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Arianna Zhou 1D

Wave function?

Postby Arianna Zhou 1D » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:48 pm

When the wave function is squared, what does it represent? What does the wave function represent normally?
Last edited by Arianna Zhou 1D on Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angie Sun 2E

Re: Wave function?

Postby Angie Sun 2E » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:49 pm

It represents the probability density of finding a particle in a particular region. The wave function alone (not squared) is a math function that shows the varying positions of a particle. Apologies for the confusion in my previous answer - I mixed up the wave definition of the intensity of light with this.
Last edited by Angie Sun 2E on Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SophieCacdac_3H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby SophieCacdac_3H » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:28 pm

I'm a bit confused about this too because from looking at my lecture notes it says that the wave function squared represents the probability of finding an electron AND the electron density distribution. So is it both of these as well as the intensity of light?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:56 pm

SophieCacdac_2F wrote:I'm a bit confused about this too because from looking at my lecture notes it says that the wave function squared represents the probability of finding an electron AND the electron density distribution. So is it both of these as well as the intensity of light?

You're correct on the part where the wave function squared is the probability of finding an electron, and its distribution. Not sure where the intensity of light came into this.

The intensity of light we think of as the number of photons hitting the metal in the photoelectric effect. Schrodinger's wave equation gives us the orbitals we explore in quantum chemistry.

-Vivek

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Wave function?  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:51 pm

Chem_Mod wrote:
SophieCacdac_2F wrote:I'm a bit confused about this too because from looking at my lecture notes it says that the wave function squared represents the probability of finding an electron AND the electron density distribution. So is it both of these as well as the intensity of light?

You're correct on the part where the wave function squared is the probability of finding an electron, and its distribution. Not sure where the intensity of light came into this.

The intensity of light we think of as the number of photons hitting the metal in the photoelectric effect. Schrodinger's wave equation gives us the orbitals we explore in quantum chemistry.

-Vivek

I checked with Dr. Lavelle. The intensity of light is proportional to the amplitude of the wave model squared. The question asked said it was cubed, not squared, so the answer would be false.
-Vivek

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”