Schrodinger Equation and Wave Functions

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Austin Ho 1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Schrodinger Equation and Wave Functions

Postby Austin Ho 1E » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi all,

Just finished reading Chapter 1 and I still feel a bit confused about the Schrodinger Equation and Wave Functions. From my understanding, wave functions are substituted since we can't use trajectories to describe where electrons will be (due to their particle-wave duality), and that the square of the wave function gives you a probability density of finding the electron. I also understand that if this probability density is 0 at a point, that point is considered a node and you can never find the electron there.

Does this sound about right or am I missing anything else? I know we won't be using it for calculations but it's still a bit confusing!

Thanks!

kaushalrao2H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Schrodinger Equation and Wave Functions

Postby kaushalrao2H » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:26 am

I too was a bit confused with that section, but I think the main idea is the idea of Heisenberg uncertainty and that both the position and momentum of a small object cannot be known at the same time. You're right about everything you mentioned in your post also (the stuff about probability density, wave functions, and nodes).

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 885 times

Re: Schrodinger Equation and Wave Functions

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:56 am

Above comments are correct and well stated. I will be covering these concepts in class.

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”