Using Shrodinger's Equation

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sheel Shah 1H

Using Shrodinger's Equation

Postby Sheel Shah 1H » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Hey there,

For the upcoming quantum test (ch1+2) do we need to know how to use/derive shrodinger's wave equation? I understand the general conclusions of it, as well as how it applies to the quantum unit (and quantum numbers), but every sample problem in the book seems to be centered on the complex math behind the equation, which I am very confused about. Do we need to know this for the test?

mayasinha1B

Re: Using Shrodinger's Equation

Postby mayasinha1B » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:16 am

I'm pretty sure my TA said we would only need to understand the conclusions and applications. I don't think we need to know the derivation.

Magdalena Palavecino 1A

Postby Magdalena Palavecino 1A » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:48 pm

I had the same exact question. I was unsure of how to apply the equation for math problems and did not understand how we were going to be asked this in the test. I am guessing the questions about it will be like the conceptual questions we had on the past two tests.

Emily Duggan 1F

Postby Emily Duggan 1F » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:18 pm

I am also confused on how to apply this equation in mathematical problems, but because he did not include any in the assigned problems for The Quantum World I don't think we need to know how to use it. We should understand how the equation describes an electron as a wave since it has duality as a particle and a wave.

Sonja Kobayashi 1H

Postby Sonja Kobayashi 1H » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:27 pm

Hello!
In my discussion my TA said you would have to know how to apply the equation using the concepts but not mathematically derive the equation! Hope that helps!

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”