Electron Spin

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

EthanPham_1G

Electron Spin

Postby EthanPham_1G » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:14 pm

Can someone explain what the electron spin is? And what determines how/in what direction the electron spins?

AArmellini_1I

Re: Electron Spin

Postby AArmellini_1I » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Electron spin is just the direction in which the electron rotates (there are two options: up [+1/2] and down [-1/2]). You can almost think of an electron as the earth rotating around the sun, while the Earth rotates around the sun on its orbit in also rotates on its axis. As for what determines the variable, Lavelle emphasized that this variable does not relate to n, l, m(l). So I'd assume it's either random luck or a reason you aren't expected to know right now...

Rida Ismail 2E

Re: Electron Spin

Postby Rida Ismail 2E » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:46 pm

both electrons have the same amount of spin, it is just opposite. Dr. Lavelle did not address the reason why they spin, but you need to know that they do. And the evidence for the spin is shown in the Stern and Gerlach Experiment. Another key component is that in order for e- to pair up they have to have different spins. so why drawing e- configurations for each e- pair in the orbital you have to have one arrow facing up and one facing down.

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”