Wave Function and Orbitals

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alan Wu

Wave Function and Orbitals

Postby Alan Wu » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:56 pm

How exactly does Schrodinger's Wave Function equation relate to the orbitals (1s, 2s, 2p... etc.)? I know the orbitals are solutions to the Wave Function, but what exactly does that mean? Like do the orbitals have energies corresponding to the ones calculated by this equation?

Lindsey Chheng 1E

Re: Wave Function and Orbitals

Postby Lindsey Chheng 1E » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:46 am

Alan Wu wrote:How exactly does Schrodinger's Wave Function equation relate to the orbitals (1s, 2s, 2p... etc.)? I know the orbitals are solutions to the Wave Function, but what exactly does that mean? Like do the orbitals have energies corresponding to the ones calculated by this equation?

Atomic orbitals are shapes in which there is a 90% chance of finding an electron. These shapes are described by a mathematical function called the wave function from Schrodinger's Wave Function Equation, which are essentially sin and cos functions.

Anisha Chandra 1K

Postby Anisha Chandra 1K » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:20 pm

I'm not entirely sure about the last part of your question, but I think the wave function is all about calculating probability that a particle is in a particular region. It also relates to the whole "particle in a box" model where the particle acts like a wave and only certain wavelengths exist in that box - aka that orbital.

Michelle N - 2C

Postby Michelle N - 2C » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:42 pm

Based on what I know, the Schrodinger's Wave Function helps describe an e- in atom since they portray wave-like properties.

Ψ^2 then represents the probability of finding an electron in a certain area. Although it doesn't precisely pinpoint the position of the electron, it helps with describing the behavior of the electrons, thus allowing the idea of orbitals come into play.

Hopefully this helps?

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”