Parts of the Schrodinger Equation

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

sarahforman_Dis2I

Parts of the Schrodinger Equation

Postby sarahforman_Dis2I » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:16 am

Hi all! I understand that we will not need to calculate the equation itself, but I am still confused on how the equation works. I understand that the hamiltonian is the double derivative, but what is it the double derivative of? Can someone please explain the parts of this equation?

Brian_Ho_2B

Re: Parts of the Schrodinger Equation

Postby Brian_Ho_2B » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:16 pm

sarahforman_Dis4l wrote:Hi all! I understand that we will not need to calculate the equation itself, but I am still confused on how the equation works. I understand that the hamiltonian is the double derivative, but what is it the double derivative of? Can someone please explain the parts of this equation?

The hamiltonian is the double derivative of the wave function with respect to x, or position. I'd love to be able to explain the components of the equation but I believe it would be beyond the scope of even multivariable calculus. The main important things to know about the equation is that it utilizes the concepts of wave/particle duality of electrons, Heisenberg's Indeterminancy Principle, and the wave function in order to produce an equation that can be used to solve for equations that represent what electron orbitals look like in a 3D coordinate plane. It is also used to determine three of the quantum numbers: n (shell number), l (subshell number), and ml (identifies the particular orbital in the subshell). The one limitation that the equation has is that it doesn't tell us what ms is, which is the spin number of the electron. However, we can figure that out using Aufbau's principle, Pauli Exclusion principle, and especially Hund's rule.

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”