Explanation of Shrodinger Equation and Hamiltonian

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ashwathinair

Explanation of Shrodinger Equation and Hamiltonian

Postby ashwathinair » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:14 am

What do we need to understand conceptually about the Shrodinger equation and the Hamiltonian? How do these concepts interact, and do we need to know the equation/how to solve the Hamiltonian?

sarahforman_Dis2I

Re: Explanation of Shrodinger Equation and Hamiltonian

Postby sarahforman_Dis2I » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:22 am

ashwathinair wrote:What do we need to understand conceptually about the Shrodinger equation and the Hamiltonian? How do these concepts interact, and do we need to know the equation/how to solve the Hamiltonian?

I believe that for the midterm we just need to know what the Hamiltonian is. The Hamiltonian is a double derivative that models the wavelike properties of electrons. The equation is that the hamiltonian wave function is equal to the energy wave function of an electron (that was determined through experimental data). Dr. Lavelle said that we will not need to know how to solve these problems, but I think it might be useful to understand the basic concepts. From my understanding, this equation can be used to calculate the wavefunction of the electron (psi) and the corresponding energy of that electron. I hope that this helps!

Victor James 4I

Postby Victor James 4I » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:52 pm

how does this relate to orbitals?

Jared Khoo 1G

Postby Jared Khoo 1G » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Victor James 4I wrote:how does this relate to orbitals?

I believe that valid solutions of Schrodinger's equation, psi, correspond to orbitals.

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”