Using Schrodinger's Equation

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isaac Wen
Been upvoted: 1 time

Using Schrodinger's Equation

Postby Isaac Wen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:26 pm

Hi!

I'm a little confused about Schrodinger's equation. Namely, how do we use it? Also, is it related to the 4 types of orbitals we learned yesterday?

Nane Onanyan 1H

Re: Using Schrodinger's Equation

Postby Nane Onanyan 1H » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi! We just need to know that the four orbitals are mathematical 3D models of the Schrodinger equations. The equations are pretty complicated so I do not think we will be using it for calculations.

Isabelle Hales 3L

Postby Isabelle Hales 3L » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:44 am

Hi! I am also a little confused with Schrodinger's Equation. In what context would we use the equation? In other words, what kind of question/problem would it help us solve? I understand it might not be on the midterm but I am curious as to how the equation is applied to the real world.

Mansi Solanki 1K

Postby Mansi Solanki 1K » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:14 am

We can use Schrodinger's Equation in order to find the accepted energy levels for electrons (since we now know that the energy levels correspond with certain packets of energy or quanta). This allows us to also know the possible standing waves since there are certain wave functions that are possible while others are not. I am not completely sure as to how this would be used to solve actual problems, but Dr. Lavelle definitely mentioned that it would come up if you go on to learn more about quantum mechanics. For now, we are able to conceptually see the possible 3D formations of the waves based on the principles behind this equation.

Postby 905579227 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:33 pm

Really quick, Where can we find practice problems with for the Schrodinger's equation, with the answer key?

Ximeng Guo 2C

Postby Ximeng Guo 2C » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:26 am

Hi! I am also not sure about the equation. I think for midterm we just need to know that conceptually the orbitals are mathematical models relating total energy, kinetic energy, and potential energy of an electron.

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”