Clarrification of EΨ

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anthony_3C

Clarrification of EΨ

Postby Anthony_3C » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:54 am

In the Schrodinger equation, I understand the left part (Hamiltonian), but I'm confused about what EΨ actually means. Is it just "one" symbol, so that EΨ means the total energy of an electron, or is it that E means the energy and Ψ just represents the wave function itself, so that EΨ equals E (energy) times Ψ (wavefunction). Basically I'm unsure if there's an omitted multiplication symbol between E and Ψ.

Farah Abumeri 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Clarrification of EΨ

Postby Farah Abumeri 1B » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:53 am

The EΨ means the energy of the wave function. This value also corresponds to the orbitals (since the second derivative of the wave function = the probability of finding an electron). In other words, the Hamiltonian (the double or second derivative) of the wave function = the energy of the wave function (the orbitals). We can also compare the energy with the atomic spectra to verify the energy value.

I think that we just have to understand the conceptual basis of the Schrodinger equation, rather than actually use it for calculations. I hope this makes some sense!

Chinyere Okeke 2A

Postby Chinyere Okeke 2A » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:55 pm

Farah Abumeri 1B wrote:The EΨ means the energy of the wave function. This value also corresponds to the orbitals (since the second derivative of the wave function = the probability of finding an electron). In other words, the Hamiltonian (the double or second derivative) of the wave function = the energy of the wave function (the orbitals). We can also compare the energy with the atomic spectra to verify the energy value.

I think that we just have to understand the conceptual basis of the Schrodinger equation, rather than actually use it for calculations. I hope this makes some sense!

I was also a little confused with the definition, but you're statement helped clarify for me. But would that mean that the Hamiltonian of the wave function = the wave function squared; since the wave function squared also represents the probability of finding an e-?

reyvalui_2g

Postby reyvalui_2g » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:35 pm

If I remember correctly, the second derivative of the wave function doesn't necessarily equate to the probability of finding an electron, as that would be the wave function squared. All the second derivative would do is tell you the curvature of the wave function at a certain point.

As for the Hamiltonian, it would be the sum of the potential energy of the wave function plus the kinetic energy of the wave function.

Manseej Khatri 2B

Postby Manseej Khatri 2B » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:34 pm

Hi. Schrodinger's equation essentially states that the Hamiltonian multiplied by Ψ (wave function) is equivalent to some energy value E multiplied by Ψ . It's essentially saying that there is some value E (energy) when multiplied by the wave function is the same as the Hamiltonian function(s) multiplied by Ψ.

ColmConnolly1E

Postby ColmConnolly1E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:13 pm

Are the Hamiltonian functions something that would be unique to each atom, or will all atoms share a set of wave functions?

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”