Understanding of Shrodinger Equation

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JTieu_2I

Understanding of Shrodinger Equation

Postby JTieu_2I » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:13 pm

I am not too sure about what Schrodinger Equation means, but to my understanding, is the following statement correct?

So, each wave function gives rise to different electron densities. And when you square the wave function (Hamiltonian in the formula) it gives you that specific electron density (where electron occupies electrons), energy levels, or orbitals.

Ryan Laureano 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Understanding of Shrodinger Equation

Postby Ryan Laureano 1E » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:30 pm

I think the wave functions vary depending on the location of the electron. Other than that, your understanding of the squared wave function I believe is correct. Also I think it is important to know that probability density is different from probability in the sense that probability density requires volume and is in terms of 1/volume.

Katie Phan 2H

Postby Katie Phan 2H » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:47 pm

If you're still confused just look in the textbook! It'll tell you what exactly it's used for.

reyvalui_2g

Postby reyvalui_2g » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:44 pm

The wave function will tell you the trajectory of a particle. In this case the particle we are dealing with is an electron, so the wavefunction will tell you the path of the electron outside of the atom. Furthermore, each wave function is different depending on which atomic orbital the electron is located in.

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”