Shrodinger Equation Confusion

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sofia Lombardo 3F

Shrodinger Equation Confusion

Postby Sofia Lombardo 3F » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:34 pm

I know that the Shrodinger equation on the equation sheet is V=R (1/n(final) - 1/n(initial)). But when I use this way I get a negative number, but we don't include the negative in our answer? Why is the negative not included? If the answer is positive can I switch the n(final) and n(initial) to get a positive answer? I tried this on some problems and got the same answer just without the negative. Is the negative important?

Isaias Gomez D3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Shrodinger Equation Confusion

Postby Isaias Gomez D3A » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:13 pm

i believe it is valid to switch the n final and n initial, because i think that term represents the difference between the two, so it should matter. I would do the higher one minus the lower one to ensure a positive answer.

Rohit Srinivas 1C

Postby Rohit Srinivas 1C » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:56 pm

I believe what you are referring to is the Rydberg equation. V=R (1/n(final) - 1/n(initial)) will always give you a positive number. Think about it in terms of fractions, final will always be smaller than the initial. The larger a denominator, the smaller the fraction. Hence, 1/small - 1/large will always be positive!

sabrina ghalambor 1E

Postby sabrina ghalambor 1E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:58 pm

similar to calculus or when computing a rate of change, you always do final-inital. that way it should be positive since it ends on a lower n level than it starts!

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”