Midterm Scores

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jaden Ward 3J

Midterm Scores

Postby Jaden Ward 3J » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:55 pm

Does anyone know when we will know our scores for the midterm? I'm assuming after everyone has taken it but I'm not sure when.

Nicolette Simoni 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Midterm Scores

Postby Nicolette Simoni 3L » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:00 pm

I'm assuming that it will be released after everyone has taken it. But it may take longer to calculate the partial points for some of the questions too.

Jessica Manriquez 1H

Postby Jessica Manriquez 1H » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:00 pm

Many people have mentioned that the scores will be released after every discussion section has taken their midterm, however this is not confirmed by Dr. Lavelle , so as of right now no one really knows when they'll be released. Hope this helped. :)

Tikva Cohen 1K

Postby Tikva Cohen 1K » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:06 pm

My TA said they were definitely waiting until everyone took the exam, so that would be at least the end of today, but he didn't say how soon after so I don't think anyone really knows.

SLai_1I

Postby SLai_1I » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:15 pm

I think everyone will finish by tonight, so hopefully soon. I read that someone mentioned something about partial credit. How would that work?

emilyyribarren1k

Postby emilyyribarren1k » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:22 pm

I heard that it might be a few days after all of the discussions finish because they have to evaluate the scores, but I'm not sure if that's true because I don't know if they're curving it.

Sam_Marasigan_3D

Postby Sam_Marasigan_3D » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:30 pm

SLai_1I wrote:I think everyone will finish by tonight, so hopefully soon. I read that someone mentioned something about partial credit. How would that work?
Yah. I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know?

Jiwon_Chae_3L

Postby Jiwon_Chae_3L » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:22 pm

Sam_Marasigan_2D wrote:
SLai_1I wrote:I think everyone will finish by tonight, so hopefully soon. I read that someone mentioned something about partial credit. How would that work?

I think that the partial points were to be given in questions that had multiple parts (i.e. questions that are divided into parts a, b, c, etc.) but I don't remember any of the questions on the midterm being like that so I doubt that we will get partial credit for this midterm. I could be wrong though.

jadensteplight_2F

Postby jadensteplight_2F » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Jiwon_Chae_3J wrote:
Sam_Marasigan_2D wrote:

I think that the partial points were to be given in questions that had multiple parts (i.e. questions that are divided into parts a, b, c, etc.) but I don't remember any of the questions on the midterm being like that so I doubt that we will get partial credit for this midterm. I could be wrong though.

I think partial credit is being assigned to certain wrong answer choices. For a hypothetic example, if you picked A, that means that you multiplied by 5 instead of divided by 5. This means your answer is wrong, but you get partial credit for only messing up that one step. Instead of getting the full 10 points for the correct answer, you get 8 points. Hope this makes some sense. However, this is just my hunch based on the format of the midterm.

Sabine Salvucci 2E

Postby Sabine Salvucci 2E » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:28 pm

Sam_Marasigan_2D wrote:

I think for some of the questions they might make the answer choices worth different amounts of points to account for commonly made errors. For example, in a question, if A is the correct answer, but B is an answer that reflects a commonly made error, A would be full points and B could be half-points. I am not 100% sure, but this would make the most sense to me since there weren't any questions with multiple parts.

Joanne Yuh 3I

Postby Joanne Yuh 3I » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:48 pm

Yeah the grades will definitely posted after everyone has taken it. But I don't think the grades will take that long to be posted compared to previous midterms because we only had multiple choice questions and the old midterms were all free response problems.

Mary Gallo 1G
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Mary Gallo 1G » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:37 pm

Do you think we will be able to see any questions we get wrong to review for the final?

Sandra Kim 2B

Postby Sandra Kim 2B » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:52 pm

it might take a bit longer than expected since they found an error in a problem recently so they have to go through all the exams again

Sam_Marasigan_3D

Postby Sam_Marasigan_3D » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:38 pm

Oh that makes sense. Thank you @Jiwon_Chae_3J @jadensteplight_3F @SabineSalvucci1C

AmyHo2K

Postby AmyHo2K » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:44 pm

jadensteplight_3F wrote:
Jiwon_Chae_3J wrote:
Sam_Marasigan_2D wrote: Yah. I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know?

I think partial credit is being assigned to certain wrong answer choices. For a hypothetic example, if you picked A, that means that you multiplied by 5 instead of divided by 5. This means your answer is wrong, but you get partial credit for only messing up that one step. Instead of getting the full 10 points for the correct answer, you get 8 points. Hope this makes some sense. However, this is just my hunch based on the format of the midterm.

I hope that's the case and it definitely makes the most sense since I didn't see any different parts on the midterm.

Katelyn_Ortega_1D

Postby Katelyn_Ortega_1D » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:48 pm

I was hoping they would be released by tonight, but it does not look like it will be. Hopefully this weekend?

Javier Perez M 1H

Postby Javier Perez M 1H » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:42 am

He is probably going to post them in a week, I believe they may be curved or something so that might be why he is going to take longer.

Jessica Katz
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Jessica Katz » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:50 am

do you know where to go in order to access the grades once they are released?

Claire_Kim_2F

Postby Claire_Kim_2F » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:54 am

You would probably go to ucla ccle quiz section and or myucla and go into your grade book to be able to see your midterm score.

Brian Nguyen 2I

Postby Brian Nguyen 2I » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:05 pm

I heard that they're waiting until everyone has finished taking the exam. The last exam should've been taken on Friday, so anytime soon probably the scores will be up. You can probably check through CCLE to see your score soon.

allyssa bradley 1H

Postby allyssa bradley 1H » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:09 pm

On the topic of partial credit ^^, I also noticed some answer choices would fully have the right number and scientific notation and all, but then the units would be in nm instead of meters. In that case, you totally did all your math right, it seems like you were just stressed at the last second when selecting your answer. Very cool of the teaching team to offer partial credit in that case, since a lot of people would probably beat themselves up over a silly mistake like that!

Sean Phen

Postby Sean Phen » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:10 pm

I was wondering when midterm scores were coming out as well. I know that there was a midterm makeup this past Friday, and they are still probably calculating the partial credit as well. I guess we just have to wait a bit.

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:21 pm

I'm guessing the midterm scores will be released later this week. Maybe. No idea of knowing for sure with college.

Jaden Ward 3J

Postby Jaden Ward 3J » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:16 pm

Sandra Kim 2B wrote:it might take a bit longer than expected since they found an error in a problem recently so they have to go through all the exams again

Did you have a problem in your exam too? In one of my questions there wasnt a correct answer in the multiple choice... I thought I was just making a mistake until 2 other classmates spoke up about it.

Eunice_Castro_1G

Postby Eunice_Castro_1G » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:54 pm

The scores will be released on Thursday. Hope this helps!

Leyna Tran 2D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Leyna Tran 2D » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:56 pm

Yes, during Lavelle's discussion today, he said that midterm scores should be released by Thursday! I believe that this means other grades will be updated as well.

Sandra Kim 2B

Postby Sandra Kim 2B » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:04 am

Jaden Ward 3B wrote:
Sandra Kim 2B wrote:it might take a bit longer than expected since they found an error in a problem recently so they have to go through all the exams again

Did you have a problem in your exam too? In one of my questions there wasnt a correct answer in the multiple choice... I thought I was just making a mistake until 2 other classmates spoke up about it.

well, i had no idea what i was doing that entire exam so i wouldn't have known if there was an error LOL but my ta said something about a question having a small error

Jordan_OBrien_2k

Postby Jordan_OBrien_2k » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:11 am

Eunice_Castro_1G wrote:The scores will be released on Thursday. Hope this helps!

Thank you!! I was wondering what day..do we know what time the midterm scores are coming out today by any chance?

Winzel Payumo 1B

Postby Winzel Payumo 1B » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:13 am

Jordan_OBrien_2k wrote:
Eunice_Castro_1G wrote:The scores will be released on Thursday. Hope this helps!

Thank you!! I was wondering what day..do we know what time the midterm scores are coming out today by any chance?

His email said midday, so I'm assuming it'll be out in an hour!

Hannah Rim 2D

Postby Hannah Rim 2D » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:40 pm

AmyHo2E wrote:
jadensteplight_3F wrote:
Jiwon_Chae_3J wrote:

I hope that's the case and it definitely makes the most sense since I didn't see any different parts on the midterm.

I remember on my exam I got an answer that I thought was correct. The exact decimal that I got was an answer choice. However, when I went back and double checked my work, I realized that I forgot to do a mole ratio before converting my answer back into grams. After I corrected my error, I was able to get the right final answer. I think my initial answer, where I missed a step in calculating, would have gotten partial credit. I assume that questions with partial credit were ones where you were close to getting the right answer but there was a small error or step forgotten when calculating.

Katelyn_Ortega_1D

Postby Katelyn_Ortega_1D » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:25 pm

They were just updated today :)

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”