Clarification between Wave Function and Wave Function Squared

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joanne Sarsam 2F

Clarification between Wave Function and Wave Function Squared

Postby Joanne Sarsam 2F » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:47 pm

Just to clarify, is this the right understanding of the wave function and the wave function squared?

The wave function (psi) is a solution to Schrodinger's equation, and describes the potential location of an electron in an atom. A wave function can be described by the four quantum numbers n,l,ml, and ms. The wave function can be graphed to give the probability density of an electron.
The wave function squared (psi^2) solves for the probability of finding an electron at a certain location.

Thanks!

Jack Amos 2I

Re: Clarification between Wave Function and Wave Function Squared

Postby Jack Amos 2I » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:04 am

Hi! Your understanding of the difference between wave function and wave function squared sounds great! However, your last sentence where you say, "the wave function can be graphed to give the probability density of an electron," belongs with wave function squared. If you square the wave function, as you know, this gives the probability density of an electron. The wave function squared can also be graphed and I believe that shows you the probability density from a graph's standpoint. I'm pretty sure the graph of just the wave function gives you where the electron could possibly be, which are the orbitals essentially.

Joanne Sarsam 2F

Postby Joanne Sarsam 2F » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:33 am

Thank you, makes a lot of sense :)

Nicole 3G

Postby Nicole 3G » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 pm

Yes that is right! The wave function squared is the probability density of the electron and the wave function itself describes the wave.

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”