What does the Shrodinger equation show?

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

What does the Shrodinger equation show?

Postby 205743684 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:00 pm

Hi, I am revising for finals and am having difficulty understanding what Schrodinger's equation was used for? I know Rydberg (H atom emission spectra), Bohr (E=hv), Heisenberg, etc. Does Schrodinger's have anything to do with the photoelectric experiment or am I completely on the wrong track?

Jennifer Huynh 3I

Re: What does the Shrodinger equation show?

Postby Jennifer Huynh 3I » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:24 pm

From my understanding, Schrodinger’s equation is a wave function that calculates the energy of electrons in each orbital. The square of the wave function gives the probability of finding an electron. The wave function gives rise to four quantum numbers used to describe the electrons of atoms.

mehaksk

Re: What does the Shrodinger equation show?

Postby mehaksk » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:48 pm

- Schrödinger's equation is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics, describing how a quantum system evolves over time.
- It calculates the system's wave function, which gives a full description of the system's state, including position, momentum, and other properties.
- Schrödinger's equation wasn't used in the photoelectric experiment but helps explain its results.
- While the photoelectric effect demonstrated light's particle-like behavior, Schrödinger's equation addresses particles' wave-like behavior.
- Schrödinger's equation, unlike earlier quantum models, provides a complete description of quantum phenomena, including multi-electron atoms and molecular bonding.

Hope this helps!

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”