Coordination compounds as Chemotherapy drugs

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aurbal Popal

Coordination compounds as Chemotherapy drugs

Postby Aurbal Popal » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:51 pm

So I was looking at Lecture Outline 5 and one of the things we had to know was to "discuss well-known examples of coordination compounds used as chemotherapy drugs". I look in the textbook but all I can seem to find is the biological functions of coordination compounds but nothing on chemotherapy... Anybody have any idea what this means or what we are supposed to know for this?

Ibrahim Malik 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Coordination compounds as Chemotherapy drugs

Postby Ibrahim Malik 1H » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:54 pm

A coordination compound that is used as a chemotherapy drug is cisplatin. It binds to the replication site in DNA and prevents cancer cells from replicating.

RoopshaChatterjee 1G

Postby RoopshaChatterjee 1G » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:58 pm

Are there any other coordination compounds that have biological importance relevant to what we're learning?

Erik Buetow 1F

Postby Erik Buetow 1F » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:51 pm

I believe the only one of these that we need to know would be about cisplatin which we talked about in class.

Jennifer Yang 3F

Postby Jennifer Yang 3F » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:47 am

I believe we have to know about cisplatin, which is a well-known coordination compound used in chemotherapy, and we also discussed it in class.

kendal mccarthy

Postby kendal mccarthy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:03 am

The main drug discussed in class was cisplatin. Which is square planar and has 2 amine groups on one side and 2 chloride groups on the other side.

David Y

Postby David Y » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:57 pm

cisplatin is stronger as the chlorines are on the same side

John Calonia 1D

Postby John Calonia 1D » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:45 pm

It is important to recognize the difference between cisplatin and translation and just know that the structure of the compound leads to its effectiveness as a chemotherapy drug, where cisplatin has the ability to cause cell death through its attachment to two adjacent guanine bases while transplatin cannot do the same due to its single chlorine atom on each side of the compound

Eliana Carney 3E

Postby Eliana Carney 3E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:25 pm

Hey Arubal!
In Lecture #24 Dr. Lavelle talks about a chemotherapy drug called cisplatin. I would assume this is what the syllabus is referring too, especially since the textbook doesn't talk about any additional chemotherapy drugs.
Basically, we learned that the coordination compound cisdiamine-dichloro-platinum(II), commonly called cisplatin, is a very common chemotherapy drug. When you draw the Lewis structure of this compound, you will see that there are two chloride atoms on the same side of the structure. These chloride atoms, when next to GC base pairs, are released and nitrogen atoms with lone pairs located in the DNA bond to the platinum atom in their place.
This bond between the nitrogens in the DNA and the platinum atom stops the DNA from splitting and duplicating, an action that must happen for cancerous tumors to form. When the DNA cannot divide, the cell containing the DNA dies.
This is effective in treating cancer because the cisdiamine-dichloro-platinum(II) kills the cancerous cells. However, this drug is quite aggressive because it cannot distinguish between cancerous cells and healthy cells, so it attacks and kills both. Doctors still use cisdiamine-dichloro-platinum(II) to treat cancer because the DNA in a healthy cell is more protected than the DNA in a cancerous cell because cancerous cells duplicate more rapidly, leaving their DNA more exposed. This makes it easier for cisdiamine-dichloro-platinum(II) to come in and kill the cancerous cells compared to the healthy cells.
Hope this response helps!

Nick Saeedi 1I

Postby Nick Saeedi 1I » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:05 pm

I think we just need to know about cisplatin and how it is used in chemotherapy treatments by disrupting cell replication.

Return to “Industrial Examples”