Writing Chemical Formulas from Names

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emerson Gaspar 1D

Writing Chemical Formulas from Names

Postby Emerson Gaspar 1D » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:32 am

Will we need to know how to write a chemical formula based off of the name of the compound for the exam? My understanding from lecture is that we would just need to know how to write basic formulas for water vapor or carbon dioxide. However, Question E.9 from the textbook tells us to write the formula of magnesium sulfate heptahydrate and since I've been told any of the textbook questions from the syllabus are fair game for the exam, how would I have figured this out?

Aditya Narashim 1K

Re: Writing Chemical Formulas from Names

Postby Aditya Narashim 1K » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:17 am

Hi Emerson
We will need to know how to name compounds but not yet. Some book questions ask but professor lavell said the test questions will hold off on asking you to name and determine compounds based off name till later on when we cover it in class. As for the specific compound you are talking about magnesium is Mg and sulfate is SO4^-2 (this is something you'd either have to know or use your periodic table for magnesium). Heptahydrate is 7H2O hydrate is always H2O and its alway prefaced by the greek numerical markers (for example penta for 5 octa for 8).

Zoe Kaiser

Postby Zoe Kaiser » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:27 pm

I was also worried about this, but Dr. Lavelle said that we won't need to know questions like this one until the final. I believe the only compounds we need to know are O2,Co2, H20, and N2. Aside from these, we don't need to derive the compound from name or name from compound.

Averie Moore 2F

Postby Averie Moore 2F » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:49 am

Late answer but I think this is relevant for the final. I would say for the upcoming exam, apply the skills we learned in the lecture about naming transition metals and that will generally give you the correct name and vice versa.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”