Diatomic Molecules

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hanan_Kashkoul_1O

Diatomic Molecules

Postby Hanan_Kashkoul_1O » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:19 pm

Hello,

I was doing practice with writing chemical equations, and there was a problem regarding fluorine gas. I got the equation incorrect because I was not aware that fluorine is a diatomic molecule. I was wondering: how do you determine which molecules are diatomic?

Thank you.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 878 times

Re: Diatomic Molecules

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:36 pm

I think the problem here is a nomenclature issue. For single F- atom it is called fluoride, and the same would be applied for the other atoms in this group. (Cl- = chloride and such) So when they use the term Fluorine, it is F2. This description only applies for this particular group. And correct me if I do not understand the question.

edhuang

Postby edhuang » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:19 am

The diatomic molecules, quite simply, must be memorized. The elements are hyrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, fluorine, bromine, and chlorine. My TA had some clever mnemonics, but how my friend in high school liked to remember it was "HONFBrCl," pronounced, "honfbrickle." The word would contain all of the periodic abbreviations.

Vincent Tse 2B
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Vincent Tse 2B » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:56 pm

A mnemonic that I often use to identify diatomic molecules is this: "Have No Fear of Ice Cold Beer."

Have = Hydrogen (H2)
No = Nitrogen (N2)
Fear = Fluorine (F2)
Of = Oxygen (O2)
Ice = Iodine (I2)
Cold = Chlorine (Cl2)
Beer = Bromine (Br2)

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wile 2D

Postby Rachel Wile 2D » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:05 pm

The mnemonic device I use for diatomic molecules is HOBr FINCl (pronounced hobber finkle). It has helped me remember that the diatomic elements are Hydrogen, Oxygen, Bromine, Fluorine, Iodine, Nitrogen, and Chlorine. Diatomic elements have to be memorized, so it is a good idea to find memorization strategy or mnemonic device that works well for you.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”