Extensive v. Intensive Property  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

LeannaPhan14BDis1D

Extensive v. Intensive Property

Postby LeannaPhan14BDis1D » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:00 pm

I am not sure I understand the complete difference between Extensive v. Intensive Property. Please send as many examples as possible.

Nikki Bych 1I

Re: Extensive v. Intensive Property  [ENDORSED]

Postby Nikki Bych 1I » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:05 pm

An extensive property is a property that changes depending on the amount, such as volume. An intensive property will stay the same no matter how much or little you have of it, such as density. Say you have a cup of water; if you add more water to it, the volume will change but the density will stay the same.

Kimberly 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Extensive v. Intensive Property

Postby Kimberly 1H » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Extensive properties are dependent on size whereas intensive properties are independent of size. For example, mass and volume are affected by size. However, a substance's freezing point, temperature, or density doesn't change with size.

A De Castro 14B 2H

Postby A De Castro 14B 2H » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:06 pm

Extensive properties depend on size and the amount of matter in the sample that you have. An example of an extensive property is mass. The more you have of something in one sample, the heavier it gets, thus the mass changes.

On the other hand, intensive properties depend only on the type of matter in the sample, not the amount. Examples include color, temperature, freezing point, boiling point, density, solubility, and conductivity. No matter how much or how little you have of something in a sample, these properties stay the same.

ariana_apopei1K

Postby ariana_apopei1K » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:18 pm

I see extensive as something that can "change", such as the volume of a cardboard box. A bigger cardboard box could hold more water than a smaller one, and thus has a larger volume--this difference between the two means volume is an extensive trait. Intensive is when it's an intrinsic part of the substance itself, like how oil is less dense than water. No matter how much oil you put in water it will always be less dense than water, making it an "unchangeable" trait. Unlike the boxes, changing the configuration or amount of oil will not change its density!

KatelinTanjuaquio 1L

Postby KatelinTanjuaquio 1L » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Extensive properties are based on the amount whereas intensive properties do not change with the amount. For example, volume is an extensive property, whereas density is an intensive property. The amount of water does not change the density of water, but the amount of water does change its volume.

inlovewithchemistry

Postby inlovewithchemistry » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:48 pm

In class, I wrote in my notebook, in simple terms, that with extensive properties, the scale of the matter is important (volume), and with intensive properties, the amount doesn't matter (density).

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”