State Symbols in Equations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alexa Mugol 3I

State Symbols in Equations

Postby Alexa Mugol 3I » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:02 pm

In my high school chemistry classes, we never really used the state symbols, like (s), (g), (aq), when writing chemical equations. I was wondering if we should use them when writing equations in this course and if there are any benefits of using them/if they help in some way. Thanks!

Jamie Lee 1F

Re: State Symbols in Equations

Postby Jamie Lee 1F » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:15 pm

I find it super helpful to write the state symbols in every chemical equation because it reminds you of what the compounds and molecules you're working with are like at STP. For example, if you had an aqueous compound that broke up into ions as products, it would be helpful to denote that the reactant was aqueous. It would be a little more confusing to leave out the state symbols.

Jason Wu 1E

Postby Jason Wu 1E » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:29 pm

I would suggest you to write out the state symbols within Chemical Equations right now just as good practice! You can actually learn alot more about the reaction because of them. Going off the previous comment on aqueous compouds, you could also learn from the state symbols on whether or not a precipitate is formed from the reaction denoted by the formation of a solid when nonsolids react!

Verity Lai 2K

Postby Verity Lai 2K » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:04 pm

I would start writing the states of the reactants and products because when we begin to learn about acids and bases, its going to become very important. It all has to do with the aqueous state like the people above me mentioned. Its a good habit to start and it will be beneficial in the future.

Norman Dis4C

Postby Norman Dis4C » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:52 pm

I'd say it is actually beneficial to write out the signs. When you are solving a problem, you make educated guesses of the result including the quantity and quality before the calculation. Thus, you would know what to fix when the answer is much different from your expectations. Plus, sometimes the question might ask you about the state of the substance.

selatran1h

Postby selatran1h » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:24 pm

Yes, I would recommend writing down the states of each reactant and products as it helps you visualize what is actually occurring in the reaction. This will become more beneficial once we get to more complex reactions such as acids and bases.

Jiyoon_Hwang_2I

Postby Jiyoon_Hwang_2I » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:51 pm

I would recommend writing the state of the molecules when writing the equation and usually the problems provide you with the state. For example, they'll say "in an aqueous solution of..." However, if the question doesn't tell you what state the molecules are at I don't think you will be penalized for not putting it in your equation.

Yejin Ban

Postby Yejin Ban » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:26 pm

I never wrote out state symbols in the past, but I realized knowing what state it is was very useful when solving certain problems. Though it is not always necessary, I think it would be useful to write them out so you can be used to what state symbols is written with certain molecule or compound!

IScarvie 1E

Postby IScarvie 1E » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 pm

It's a good idea to start writing the state symbols now so it becomes a habit. They are very useful for understanding what is physically happening in the reaction, and they may be required later on.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”